...what was your 1st expirence like inside of a church?

by A-Team 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A-Team
    A-Team

Were you still a JW, or did you just leave?

What did you expect from a Church, was it like you thought, etc.

What happened afterwards, especially if you were still a JW.

I was never a JW, so I would like to hear everyones experiences on this subject.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

About 6 months after leaving the bOrg, a neighbor invited me to an Easter Service. I went.

It was eerie. I was an atheist at that point, so the "house of demons" thing wasn't an issue. But just being surrounded by believers participating in their rites was surreal.

Imagine being in a room full of people that believed there was a special banana in a box on the altar, and though no one was allowed to look at it, they all completely believed it was true. And further, they believed 100% that the banana was going to give them eternal life someday. They sang songs to and about the banana, became teary-eyed listening to someone talk about the banana, and sincerely invited you to join them in their worship of the banana.

That's how it felt. It wasn't too "appealing" ;-)

Dave

• blondie
    blondie

I attended various churches during the years I grew up going to the KH. Seemed some used the Bible less (Catholic), some more (Lutheran), and some had another holy book (Mormons). I understood nothing at the Catholic wedding. Not that I understood much at the KH, but at least it was in English or German not Latin.

Some religions get up and down a lot at their services, some have better music, some talked about money and politics too much. I did see a film about the Mormons at their stake...it was pretty much sci-fi to me.

Blondie

• kid-A
    kid-A

I have had the good fortune to visit several famous churches, including the Vatican, Notre Dame, Sacre Couer, and quite a few in Canada in Montreal and Toronto. Catholic and Anglican cathedrals are always aesthetically pleasing, to atheist and believer alike.....since I was not religious at all when I first attended one of these churches, I simply experienced a deep reverence for the breathtaking artwork and architecture.

As ex-JWs we are used to going to a "church" that resembles the waiting room at Jiffy Lube, so I think any ex-JW would at first be in awe of these structures.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I guess I was about 9 years old back in 1980. My mom (disfellowshipped) remarried and we moved to Texas. My stepfather (supposedly an atheist) on the request of his mother, decided to start taking us to a Presbyterian church, and that was the first time I had ever been in a church. I didnt like it, why I dont know, just perhaps I was mad at mom for moving us to Texas, and perhaps I felt like it was sinful to attend a church. Darin and I both poked fun at it, and we just didnt want anything to do with it. I think we felt we were superior to that since we were raised in the "Truth"

• DJK
    DJK

It was a funeral in a Catholic church while I was still attending the KH. There services seemed more hokey than the JWs. The priest spoke more latin than english, walked around with the incense and threw water on the coffin. I did like the stained glass.

• helncon
    helncon
    Imagine being in a room full of people that believed there was a special banana in a box on the altar, and though no one was allowed to look at it, they all completely believed it was true. And further, they believed 100% that the banana was going to give them eternal life someday. They sang songs to and about the banana, became teary-eyed listening to someone talk about the banana, and sincerely invited you to join them in their worship of the banana

It was eerie for me the first time though i had been to a few weddings and funerals in other churches, but never for a 'service'.

The first time i went was just before christmas last year was hung over and tired, felt really awkward as our car was parked out the front with our bisiness name all over it and the KH is only a 1/2 km away.

But i just listened and it just was the same as going to a KH and listening to the same dribble.

Helen

• restrangled
    restrangled

I was faded and always felt that I could never enter another church.

My son was in private school and was asked to join the Deanery Boys Choir in this city through that school at a very young age.

They did a Christmas performance that stirred the heart and soul. I was astounded at how beautiful it was, how wonderful the people were, that a neighbor came with us and how it felt much more "spiritual" than any experience in a KH.

The boys were invited to and performed in Japan accompanied by the Mayor of our city. My husband went as one of the Chaperone's.

The Church was breathtaking, and to hear such music!!!!! To this day I do not understand the lack of musical ability with the JW's. God's ears must hurt when he hears them sing....I know mine do!

I think it is shameful

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

helncon, that must have been one boring church.

• Mary
    Mary

I've been to the Catholic Church------too boring and ritualistic for me. I've been to a Baptist Church and Reformed Presbyterian. Both are conservative but after being a Dub, it's a piece of cake.

Mmmmmmmmm..............caaaaake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit