Man has figured out how to burn salt water.

by jaguarbass 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    Why salt water ?

Pure water can act as an insulator, salt...is a great electrolyte which conducts electrical currents. Other impurities can do the same thing.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was finally able t see the video.

There is absolutely NO way he can get more energy out of the water than he is putting into it.

Sure, he got that little engine to turn, but at the same time he was putting a butt-load of electricity into the radio frequency generator. That's like being impressed that you can turn on a solar calculator by shining light from a 100 watt light bulb. You still need 100 watts of electricity in order to turn on the light bulb in order to run the 0.01 watt calculator. It's total BS.

Don't waste my time with this crap unless you can mail me a small, clear, self contained and sealed cube that has a little light on inside it. If someone sends me one of those and the light never turns off, then I'll be impressed.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Yes, this is very interesting; a new way to separate out hydrogen from water. It will be interesting to see if they can get the power usage down to make it practical.

Dave, do you frequent OUPower.com? Bob Boyce posts there regularly.

j

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Pure water can act as an insulator , salt...is a great electrolyte which conducts electrical currents. Other impurities can do the same thing.

Thank you Rabbit. And sorry for greying out my text... It wouldn't let me edit my post to make it normal.

Lore

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Elsewhere:

There is absolutely NO way he can get more energy out of the water than he is putting into it.

I think you're right. In fact, unless there's something I'm missing about all this, getting hydrogen from water will never be economically or ecologically viable. If the system was 100% efficient, the energy generated by burning hydrogen would be exactly equivalent to the energy needed to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in the first place. And of course no system can be 100% efficient, so more energy is needed to obtain the combustible hydrogen than is generated by burning it.

That's not to say that hydrogen fuel cells are a bad idea. As they don't pollute they could make cities more pleasant to live in, removing the pollutants to unpopulated areas. Alternatively, the hydrogen could be separated by renewable energy sources such as large-scale solar or wind farms which would be impractical for directly powering automobiles. But electric cars have all these advantages already, without the worries of transporting highly combustible fuel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit