My Spiritual Awakening has turned to........

by AK - Jeff 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• gumby
    gumby

Jeff, if you knew just how common your position you have taken is amoung ex-dubs, it would scare you. The journey out of dubdom and into other religions usually comes to a dead end.......if the person is honest with themselves and has researched to a fair degree just what religion is all about. You don't have to lose your spirituality if you lose your religion

Gumby

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Willyloman - I have to agree about the Christmas services - I love those. We got a little involved with that due to our G-kids being in Christian pre-school. But I didn't want to get 'too close' so to speak for the reasons you mention.

Gumby - good points. BTW how are you - seems I recall a health issue with you a while back - you ok?

Jeff

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

The journey out of dubdom and into other religions usually comes to a dead end.......if the person is honest with themselves and has researched to a fair degree just what religion is all about.

Interesting black-and-white comment, with insinuations that those who retain some element of religion in their lives are not being honest if they have truly researched the topic.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Wow, Jeff. I had to do a double take when I saw your thread and first post!

I guess the only constant in life is that we never end up where we expected to be......

May the road rise with you.

• mavie
    mavie

Great to hear Jeff. It's nice to feel feee.

• done4good
    done4good

I know what you mean, Jeff. I went through many changes very quickly after leaving the WTS, in an attempt to "figure it all out". What I learned, is no one has the truth cornered, when it comes to these things. I consider myself more of a rationalist these days, with no religious or non-religious connotations attached to the meaning of the term. It's a very good thing...

Jason

• startingover
    startingover

I appreciate your words Jeff.

Maybe someone can help me understand something. I have never been able to understand what "spirituality" means. As a JW, spirituality was equated with how many hours you got and meetings you didn't miss, and how many times you raised your hand and rearranged words to answer a question. I couldn't relate as a JW and I can't relate now.

• 38 Years
    38 Years

Jeff,

Thank you for starting this post. I can't decide what to do about religion myself. I think Little Toe made a good point, "What if religion is just an organised means of people expressing their spirituality?". I wish I could keep that in mind whenever I visit a church or their website. I attended a nice church for 6 months and I have visited other churches. Everyone is really nice and seem sincere, but when they talk about membership, I don't want to go back. I want the perfect fit, but I'm becoming more convinced it doesn't exist. I blame myself because I'm being so picky. Most of the time, I don't think I need a church at all. Other times I condemn myself because I'm not making an effort. I want to keep up my spiritual beliefs, and be at peace with it. Maybe someday it will happen.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wow, Jeff. I had to do a double take when I saw your thread and first post!

I guess the only constant in life is that we never end up where we expected to be......

May the road rise with you.

We may still occupy different camps, my friend. But the adversity is lessened at this point at least. Jeff

• choosing life
    choosing life

Sounds like ypo're settling in to real life. That is what it is all about anyway. I agree that volunteer work is more fullfilling than organized religion.

Enjoy and relax!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit