Hate crime affects everyone...

by avishai 24 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Yeah, we're pretty much recovered, and I've looked at some photo's of different guys, but nothing concrete yet.. When I get the dvd of the news interview, I'll youtube it.

I guess I'm pretty much recovered when for me the biggest bummer is I forgot to stick a 9 volt battery on my staples to see if anything would happen!!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

(((Avishai))) so glad you and your brother are ok and I hope they catch the dumb lowlifes who did it.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

avishai:

Sorry to hear about your ordeal, and glad that you're OK. Just curious: how do you think the Matthew Shepard law would have helped? Isn't it already illegal to just go over and beat the crap out of someone? I've never understood what adding the "hate crime" category is supposed to do. It seems strange that if these thugs were caught, they'd get a lesser sentence if they claimed the reason they attacked you was because you were looking at them funny rather than because they thought you were gay.

• Mary
    Mary

Oh my god! That is disgusting! Rotten little bastards. Sounds to me like they were looking to beat anyone up and any excuse would do. Are you doing okay now?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well its not my thread but I'm going to jump right in here.

Derek, simple assault gets a slap on the wrist. These guys targeted gays, because they were gays to the point that they were blind to the fact that they might be mistaken. That type of blind hatred towards a class of people results in simple assaults turning deadly. Hence the more serious nature. The fact is, if you do this once you will do this again. You go to jail longer as a hate crime than as assault because of those factors. You are a danger to a segment of society.

Mary, no, they were not looking to just beat up "anybody" this happens because these groups of guys get liquored up and decide to go beat up some gays. You hear the same story over and over with this type of attack. Avi isn't the only friend I've had who has been a victim.

The fact that it was a gay bashing has resulted in over 150 people looking at this thread but only a few replies, even though Avi is not gay. Where's the compassion? Very upsetting.

Sherry

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Gretchen956:

Derek, simple assault gets a slap on the wrist. These guys targeted gays, because they were gays to the point that they were blind to the fact that they might be mistaken. That type of blind hatred towards a class of people results in simple assaults turning deadly. Hence the more serious nature. The fact is, if you do this once you will do this again. You go to jail longer as a hate crime than as assault because of those factors. You are a danger to a segment of society.

If someone attacks a person at random, aren't they then a danger to all of society? People who will only attack someone who appears gay are clearly less of a danger to society than people who will attack anybody at all. Some people will attack others for different reasons: they are too well dressed, too nerdy, too loud, too fat etc. Should all those be "hate crimes" as well? Does it not repulse you to think of a defense lawyer insisting that his client beat someone up because they were fat and not because they were gay because the former carries a lesser sentence?

Mary, no, they were not looking to just beat up "anybody" this happens because these groups of guys get liquored up and decide to go beat up some gays. You hear the same story over and over with this type of attack. Avi isn't the only friend I've had who has been a victim.

Perhaps if the punishment for assault was more than "a slap on the wrist" then such crimes would happen less often. (It doesn't seem to be such a problem in the rest of the Western world.) Certain classes of people might be more likely to be victimised but I still don't understand why the punishment for attacking such people should be more severe.

The fact that it was a gay bashing has resulted in over 150 people looking at this thread but only a few replies, even though Avi is not gay. Where's the compassion? Very upsetting.

The compassion is from every single person who posted on the thread. I'm not sure if you think there should be a quota of replies per view to make sure gay threads aren't being discriminated against, but the ratio is not that unusual. A lot of people don't often reply unless they have something original to add.

I think just about everybody who posts on this board would consider the attack on Avishai absolutely repugnant, and his sexuality a complete irrelevance to that fact.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Bastards. I hope everyone watches your interview on TV, finds them, and Frankensteins them.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

((((((Avi & His Bro))))))

I hope the cops find the punks who did this....I hope those men get justice served to them, and then they will find it in prison I suspect....bet they won't think they are so tough then....

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

So very sorry brother!

The Universe will see to it that they make compensation for their transgression. Their punishment is being who they are.

Love to you and your brother,

Nvr

• flipper
    flipper

Avishai, that's horrible. So glad you're OK. I didn't know that our fearless leader (NOT) wants to rescind that law, but then again of course he does. There is way too much of that mentality out there. Near here in Sacramento area there's been an issue in the news - fanatic "Christian" students at a high school were wearing anti-gay tshirts. assholes flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit