Odd And Unusual Words And Expressions Used Locally Or Regionally

by The wanderer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

O d d And Unusual Words And Expressions Used Locally Or Regionally

Some time ago, I was sending a personal message to a friend in a different country
    and using the term Bubba to address him. Now in the Southeastern United States
    (The Bible Belt), the term Bubba is an expression used toward an individual you
    view as a friend.

Sometimes, individuals carry this as their first name.*

Watching What You Say

This discussion board is an international board and some expressions viewed, as being
    common in one region does not necessarily apply to another region of the world.

The person that I was addressing as Bubba was questioning why I was calling him—my grandmother.

What everyday words or expressions used in your locality, region or part of the world do
    you think may be viewed odd in another part of the world?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

* See the movie Forrest Gump.

• bluebell
    bluebell

this one is from my part of the world (UK) but not my part of the country

i'm sketched out = im feeling scared

that's sketchy = that's scary

it's from cornwall, i heard it in newquay. i thought it was totally random, maybe "sketchy" has got surfing roots?

• bluebell
    bluebell

one from round my area that i just thought of

dannies = hands, usually spoken to a child, give me your dannies to cross the road, or you've got cold little dannies.

(i had never heard of it but everyone i asked had, so obviously i'm just weird)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I once posted here that I was 'rooting for' someone - a term which in the UK means you're on their side of a battle/struggle/crisis, that you're generally keeping them in your thoughts.

Apparently it means something completely different downunder so I won't be using that particular term again

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    that's sketchy = that's scary

Now when I have heard the phrase "that's sketchy"...I hear it in a way that it means "that may not work"..or "that's not good enough"..

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm not sure if this use is widespread or not, but I have heard some "ferenors" who thought it was funny. Here (arkansas), we say I'm "fixing" to do something, "fixing" meaning "about."

For example:

Erma: "Earl, did'ju fix that truck 'et?"

Earl: "I'm fixin' to Erma, hold y'er horses!"

• fifi40
    fifi40

I have used the term 'Mardy' to an American before which means moody and is used commonly in the Midlands in th UK.

'Pish' is another word I am familiar with, but I am not sure if it is just made up, a Scots friend of mine uses it when she is referring to something that is a load of rubbish.

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

If I posted all the expressions from my part of the world I would still be typing this time next week!

In answer to the 'pish' question - that is indeed correct. It refers to something which is worthless, useless, waste of time etc. You often find the word 'pure' placed in front of it, which is very common.

For example - - That public talk on Sunday was pure pish.

In it's literal sense 'pish' is another name for urine. It is also used to describe urinating - i.e. I won't be long - just going for a pish.

To confuse things even further there is also rhyming slang for 'pish' for those who are more polite. i.e. I won't be long - just going for a 'single fish'.

Ain't language a funny thing!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

In Cleveland we used to call coke, pop. When I moved to florida they called it soda.

• WHO
    WHO

Here's a useful resource which I enjoy reading for pure pleasure: http://wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit