Odd And Unusual Words And Expressions Used Locally Or Regionally

by The wanderer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I also enjoy droppin' my g's for some reason. "I'm fixin' to start rootin'."

• snowbird
    snowbird

Junction-Guy said

Another Kentucky word is "Kyarn". My grandma used to say, come in and wash your hands, you are fithier than Kyarn. I believe this word has its roots in the old british isles.

My grandmother used to say something similar. I think they meant this: carrion (rotting or decaying flesh) an old Anglo-Saxon word. Incidentally, she lived to be 104. She was born 1883 and died 1987. Could not stand the Witnesses. Wonder why?

Snowbird

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I lived in Connecticut for a short while. Man they talk funny! But they said I talked funny! They said I talked like a cowboy!

Pop in Kansas is soda in CT

Sack in Kansas is Bag in CT

Y'all in Kansas is Yawlse or Youses. In a sentence. Later for youses/yawlse's

Sucker in Kansas is Lollipop in CT (WTF - LOLLIPOP- who the hell says that!?)

Jeans in Kansas is dungarees in CT

_____

Terms from my mom. "Put that sharp pencil down before you "jug" your eye out!" "Bag up the car (back up the car)" "Put your dress down before someone see's your "pocketbook"!" Pocketbook = bottom = your privates = beavershot . . .

Wrench this glass out= rinse the glass out

'mon back= come on back

There's tons more. I just have to remember them! Mom was born in Arkansas.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Does anyone remember what "taint" is? Arkansas "taint"?

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I remember my mom telling me..."watch your "P's" and "Q's" young lady" meaning I better start being good.

Another one is "Don't forget to cross your "T's" and dot your "I's"....meaning I better be careful with what I was doing.

Now, I don't know if my mom got them right because she would say things like that and get the phrase wrong. It would be more of my "mom's" phrases.

One of "MY" phrases is "feed 2 birds with one seed"... I hated the phrase "kill 2 birds with one stone".

• Purza
    Purza

In Northern California we have an expression: "earthquake weather".

It is basically very warm temps with the air being very still. It felt that way day of the 89 quake, but that expression was in place before that event. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense when earthquakes can happen at any time of the year.

Purza

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

"Whoop your butt!" = whip/spank your butt

• loosie
    loosie
    Does anyone remember what "taint" is? Arkansas "taint"?

Taint: Do you want the clean version or the naughty version?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

awllll yaaalls - here in the midwest

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Taint: Do you want the clean version or the naughty version?

Loosie, the clean version!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit