Odd And Unusual Words And Expressions Used Locally Or Regionally

by The wanderer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have a bundle from my mother through her grandmother (origins in the UK). But for the life of me I can't come up with them on the fly.

I got in trouble this week for using the phrase "say-so" in a meeting. I had to repeat myself, slowly, "I can't just take someone's say-so on her performance."

Phrases most misused on this board, "Faithful and Discrete Discreet Slave", "tow toe the line", and "rank-and-file" (Meant to be used for the followers, not the leaders)

The most delightful terms raised on this board include Jehoober, Borg, Kingdom Hell, and "Cheese-and-Cracker Men".

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dans mon cartier, ils utilise beaucous des mots comme sa. I'm still working on the words that they use in my area

S

• restrangled
    restrangled

John Doe said:

I'm not sure if this use is widespread or not, but I have heard some "ferenors" who thought it was funny. Here (arkansas), we say I'm "fixing" to do something, "fixing" meaning "about."

When we moved from Chicago to Florida, for the first time I heard "Fix en to"....its the most ridiculous expression I have heard.

Fixing means to repair something not preparing to do something.

In the Midwest we always referred to coke, 7UP, Dr. Pepper as POP, I guess short for sodapop.

In the south I've heard "Y'all" meaning all of you. Also the term "Florida Cracker"....which I believe is another term for "White Trash, Red Neck or Trailer Trash".....what "cracker" means, I haven't figured out.

r

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Mind = listen to (or do) what I say Switch = a small twig from a bush or tree, used for disciplining a child So, a parent might say something like "Mind me and do your chores or I'll go out and get a switch for you".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Some expressions I still find myself saying:

Are you pau with that?

No, the boss said it's your kuleana to do that.

Take that lint out of your piko.

Can I cockaroach that chip?

Alright, let's hele on!

'A'ole!!!

• ninja
    ninja

I was in the Albanian field when a JW....one time while we were on holiday ...our studies went to the meeting with our in laws....they picked them up and my father in law greeted them saying ...sorry my car isnt as big as Craig's......cue laughter....any time they spoke about their car the Albanoids (I know it's Albanians...my pet name for them) burst out laughing.......turns out "kar" is Albanian for penis

• loosie
    loosie

I have heard one taht I just don't get. You ask some one to press the enter key and they say "oh you want me to MASH it?"

NO we aren't talking mashing potatoes here just the enter key.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Gems from Mississippi:

1. Tump-as in "Be careful in the wagon or you'll tump over."

2. You ain't done it- as in "I got me a new truck." "You ain't done it."

3. Ya'll- as in "Ya'll go on and get out and come in."

I was fixing to write more, ya'll, but almost tumped outa my chair. I almost done it, too.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Down home in the mountains of Kentucky, we also call coke "pop", but in alot of big cities especially up north they call it soda.

Another Kentucky word is "Kyarn". My grandma used to say, come in and wash your hands, you are fithier than Kyarn. I believe this word has its roots in the old british isles.

Another expression I remember grandma saying is" gommin and a messin" She would say "get out of the kitchen, you're a gommin and a messin"

"tearing up jack" was also used to describe someone who was in a frenzied state, possibly a fight,

"any count" this was used to ask if something was of value. it it any count?

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    Earl: "I'm fixin' to Erma, hold y'er horses!"

As a transplanted Texan, I love "fixin". I texted Crumpet yesterday to tell her I was fixin' to start drinkin'. (Is 'texted' a word?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit