What "Christian Rock" would you recommend?

by AlmostAtheist 35 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I was driving along today and passed a church advertising some singing group that is to appear Sunday. I thought, "Man, I HATE religious music. Always have." It was the "always have" that caught my attention. I realized that this was an automatic response, implanted by the JW's. When I really thought about it, what I dislike about the music is the (in my opinion) false message it conveys.

So what? Do I agree with every song I listen to? Do I REALLY think she's buying a stairway to heaven? Is it REALLY a manic monday? And just how safe IS this "safety dance", anyway?

As a tearing-down-the-walls experiment, I want to expose myself to some religious music. But to be fair, I don't like much music to begin with. So the best chance I have here is Christian Rock, I think.

So, what would you recommend? I like "pop rock" stuff, particularly from the 80's. I like Alanis Morrisette. (Insert/delete n's, r's, s's, and t's as appropriate) I like Phil Collins.

I await your learned replies!

Dave

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I'll listen to Out of The Grey and Toby Mac, I can't listen to anything too preachy.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Why would anyone (except x-tians) want to listen to religious propaganda masquerading as "music" ?

Personally, I would rather be blindfolded, handcuffed to a chair while being forced to listen to the collected works of Yoko Ono before I would listen to "religious" music....the KingDumb Melodies were plenty enough for me! LOL........

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In the spirit of love, you may wish to explore the music of KISS.

Rub a Dub

• Warlock
    Warlock

What "Christian Rock" would I recommend?

Certainly not "Chris Rock", so it would have to be Jesus, "The Christian's Rock".

Warlock

• daystar
    daystar

Listen to P.O.D. They're "Christian Rock".

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Petra... Newsboys ... Toby Mac ... Chris Tomlin .. Selah ... Casting Crowns ... MercyMe ... Mark Schultz ... Amy Grant

• aniron
    aniron

Why would anyone (except x-tians) want to listen to religious propaganda masquerading as "music" ?

So you just listen to political propaganda masquerading as music?

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

My exposure to "Christian Rock" has been, on occasion, when I can't find anything else to listen to on the radio- typically on a long drive in a neck of the woods that is remote.

I have heard some that I would listen to again, but none that I would buy (yet).

I have heard some "Christian Rock" that was touching and had a good mesage, but not much. I couldn't even name one group. I think it will get better with time, like all genres (except rap).

BA

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I would rather pull my own tooth out,than listen to Christian Rock.I live in the wilderness,there are no dentists here..Yes,I`ve had to pull my own tooth..It hurts and it`s friggin messy..LOL!!.....I like good Rock`n Gospel though..I`m not a christian,I just like the sound...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit