Would you really want to live forever

by darth frosty 34 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I just finished reading this book called the Alchemist. It is a very compelling story about following your dreams. What I found most intriguing about the book is the depth of spirituality it brought out in me. I am basically atheist in my beliefs now, but the book talks about communicating with the soul of the world. Also another point it brings out is how all of us have a destiny to fullfill and therefore a choice. We can either learn to listen to our hearts and follow our dreams. Or we can listen to the wisdom and desires of others and live with the pang of regret.

I have pondered deeply the thoughts that came to me from this book and have come to a stark realization. I would never want to live forever. The age old critique of living forever is 'wouldn't you get bored?' The witness spiel as we been told, is that there will be all these new revelations (never mind that the old ones dont hold water) and productive work to do. Have you ever heard a witness tell the story of how they want to learn to play the piano in the new system? The story goes that Since we will be perfect it will be easy to become a concert pianist. But it goes on that this person also wants to build the piano himself, so therefore he must spend time learning to build pianos. Then to take it deeper, the person wants to build the piano out of a certain wood and wants to plant the tree of the certain wood and watch it grow. When his special tree reaches maturity, he will than cut it down and go about building his piano so he can learn to play. The account is wound up by saying how just learning to play the piano can be a 500 year project.

Now lets contrast that with a single lifespan (70-80 years) and the possibility to achive your ultimate goal of following your dreams. As the book points out, life is capable of handing us all the tools necessary to accomplish our goals and also of snatching them away. It will teach you things necesary to survive and test you to the ultimate degree when you near your goal to see if your worthy. So the question is this, which will you find more fullfilling a relatively short span of life, where you accomplish your ultimate goal's, or an endless existance where you meander your way from one project to another because you basically have nothing else to do?

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, yes I can say that I really would like to live forever on a beautiful earth. That is one reason why I bought into all the WTS stuff. I so enjoy sitting outside viewing nature,gardening, traveling, hiking, music, etc. No, I can't think that I would ever get bored. Is it a real possibility? I do not know anymore. I know that Jesus said we could have everlasting life. But where?

• delilah
    delilah

Question: is forever the same kind of forever the witnesses dream of? with an entire world filled with witnesses? Cause then I'd say, "no way, Hosea".

If living forever meant living with my immediate family, and the good friends I've made since leaving the "truth", then I'd say "YES".

I too, never tire of learning new things, watching the sun set, watching the seasons come and go. I think it would be awesome to continue to chase my every whim, and never be sick, never get old, watching generations of my family grow, with new babies, never having to go to a funeral of a loved one.

I dunno, living forever does have some appeal, to me anyways, just not living it as a witness. Then again, I'm not one who gets bored easily......

• Mary
    Mary

Hate to admit it, but yes, the idea of living forever in a paradise, where you'd never lose a family member in death and never grow old appealed to me strongly and I still sometimes find myself thinking sometimes (usually after hearing really bad news on the radio), "man this world sucks....I wish the new system WAS going to come."

That's been the hardest part about realizing we were duped by the religion.....when I was young, I was totally convinced that I'd never grow old or even watch my parents grow old---certainly I never thought I'd have to watch them die.

• sinis
    sinis

If it was a world where EVERYONE followed the Golden Rule, then yes I would like to live forever. Not a fairy tale, walt disney, JW world, but a world where people work together, and respect each other no matter what. As far as getting bored, I really don't think so. Is there a limit to knowledge? No. What we have now, and what schools teach are the summation of all human knowledge, and yet there is still a vast sea ahead of us that is uncharted...

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Please, for one moment, try to step out of your JW inculcation.

I have been blessed with more free time than most will ever have.

I follow my dreams and desires to the point where they are either fulfilled or 90+% fulfilled.

I relentlessly pursue one goal at a time, until I have experienced it fully.

I love learning, knowledge, wisdom, and experience.

As soon as I am satiated with learning, knowing, and experiencing one thing fully, I am on to the next, and the next, and the next....

I desire to live forever, in whatever form, to continue doing so.

I can not imagine not being able to continuously do so.

BA - Please, at least TRY to think outside the box, outside the cards you've been dealt.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Darth Frosty,

I have a question. I really cannot see clearly the tiny pictures people have with their names. Is that an extemely large banana you have in your hand?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Thanks for your replies. Quandry that is an iron worker forming a sword.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Living forever would be great. The problem is when people don't live now. Someone once told me- whereever you are- be there.

Why not travel, get educated, enjoy watching your children play baseball, enjoy meeting and spending time with people. So many JW's fail to do these things because of the dream of the future (and the rules for getting there)

When my kid would say "I can't wait for the new world" my wife and I (in a moment of shock and frustration) would say - "Your life right now is pretty great."

• John Doe
    John Doe

The more poignant question is "do you really want to die?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit