The world IS getting worse!!

by themonster123 40 Replies latest jw friends

• themonster123
    themonster123

I'm telling you- I honestly think people are getting more immoral!! I saw something on the news last night where some bicycler got hit in the middle of the road in the middle of a huge intersection and people were slowing down to go AROUND him. That was at some urban centre in Tel Aviv, Israel. How do you explain this??!!! It scares me-makes me think maybe the Witnesses are onto something...??? Did anyone else see this? NO CARS STOPPED FOR HIM.... He was on the GROUND...

WHere's Leave it to Beaver? I love Lucy? Why are TV shows and the general human society bcoming so degraded into Sex and The City, Entourage, The Sopranos, and other shows/ movies that seem "normal" now -that 60 years ago, the average person would have been completely offended by...

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think you are being very sentimental about this, the world was worse in the Middle Ages, today it is far more civilised at least the western world is though not necessarily other parts such as the moslem countries.

• themonster123
    themonster123

I guess that's true about the Middle Ages-it's just when I saw this on the news, the first thing for my JW mom to say was "Men will have no natural affection, animalistic etc." (quoting 2 Timothy about the characteristics of people in the "last days")-it scared me when she said that. I guess seeing that on the news I couldn't believe my eyes-it seemed so barbaric of eveyone NOT to stop.

Thanks for your two cents and helping me sort through this.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I second what Greendawn said, the world is FAR better overall now than at any time in the past. The reason the story about the bicyclist made the news is that it IS so unusual for such a thing to happen. And we do have a very efficient media in place for collecting and distributing news of such things when they DO occur. Finally, the media only publishes the stories they believe will generate revenue, and stories about healthy puppies licking the faces of smiling children don't sell newspapers or ad time on network television. What happened to the bicyclist WAS bad, no doubt about it, but if he had lived in Bible times, the driver of the car (wagon? chariot?) would probably have stopped, gotten out and robbed him, then killed him. And much, much, worse if he had been so unfortunate as to be a woman.

• themonster123
    themonster123

That's true gaiagirl.... I guess when you grow up w/ a certain Witness mindset like I've been indoctrinated w/ your whole life, it's hard to shake that and you think of the world in that mindset...Also, thanks for bringing in the point about the media-good point.

• restrangled
    restrangled
    WHere's Leave it to Beaver? I love Lucy? Why are TV shows and the general human society bcoming so degraded into Sex and The City, Entourage, The Sopranos, and other shows/ movies that seem "normal" now -that 60 years ago, the average person would have been completely offended by...

There is a difference between bad and different. TV shows and movies are about entertainment...nothing more....nothing less. They are not a substitute for parenting anymore than the WTS is. We are offended by the things that we allow ourselves to be offended by. Everything in life doesn't need to have a moral judgement attached to it.

Sometimes things aren't worse....just different.

r's hubby

• aniron
    aniron

Seeing that the above happened in Israel. It could have been that people were wary about stopping in case it could be a trap or even a bomb.

A friend of mine recently back from South Africa was told when he hired a car. To make sure keep the doors locked when in it , never lower the windows if someone is talking to him.

And Never stop for any "accident" or anyone they may see lying in the road. As most times it turns out to be a trap to hijack and rob drivers and even kill them.

• themonster123
    themonster123

Hmm....you all have interesting feedback.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

I remember hearing a talik once about "OMGZ Tv is horrible. On I Love Lucy, they didn't even sleep in the same Bed- now they simulate sex on TV!!!one111" and I was all, "OmZ he's right!" because I loved "I Love Lucy" but you have to take into context the culture and time of I Love Lucy and the time and culture now.

I love Lucy and shows lke it were during a time after WWII was over and tv shows were emphasizing the nuclear family and things being proper in their place (since women were actually working and what not since the war and men were back home and they had to gets back in the Kitchen and make them sammiches!!), so shows like Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy were on television selling this ideal of how a family should be when most families did not even reflect that.

Plus, in the talk I heard it was used to send a shock to us as "those times were oh so great and grand and simple and people were kind.."

Were they really? Racism was even more overt back then with blacks being killed, ignored, and oppressed, and native americans still being ignored and allowed to die as if they didn't matter or exist in the first place. Women were in unhealthy relationships and unprotected by the government, not even allowed reproduction rights.... Those times were not better, they were different (as someone mentioned above) just like today is. Remember History is more than just about what happend, its also about who it happend to and where you are getting your information from. There is always bias.

Because I bet First nation people, immigrants, blacks, and even queers of those times have a different version of life than the middle class suburban well off folks whose lives resembled what was one tv. "Morality of the world has changed- and it al began in 1914!" I bet it did, but morality is always changing as its not some "Set in stone" thing like the Ten commandments. It reflects culture, customs, environment, and a whole other slew of things.

And again that story was scary, but you have to look at context and culture. I think somebody would have stopped in the area I live if somebody got hit by a car.... because they have before. But in Israel, a place where attacks hapend every so often, you just aren't sure... And maybe its the cynic in me, but they didn't run him over *even* more. they moved out of the way.

But if they hadn't- Now that would be a Sign goddamit.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Some of these video games for 12 year olds are grose. But then again Bugs Bunny did some pretty grose things in the cartoons I watched as a child....I never understood Bugs until I was an adult.

To see Mickey Mouse teaching Islamic children to hate and kill was to much for me to understand. Today we live in a smaller world than the middle ages....Yes I agree this is not a nice world today to bring our children up, and it IS getting worse in that sense.

It's a small world after alllll

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit