Is there anything wrong with listening to anything the jw's say????s

by Lotus65 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lotus65
    Lotus65

i was reading some of the articles my mom brought home and gave to me and i was wondering do the jw's have any good ideas on a good way to live your life. I mean do they know anything about how to live and what to do when you have problems. I was wondering because i want to know if i can follow any of the info in questions young people ask book or are they wrong and every aspect and should i just never read it again.

I dont follow there cult religion but do they have any good advice i can listen too that doesnt pertain to religion

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Lotus,

Some of the advice given in certain jw publications is obviously very sensible,
    like staying away from drugs, not drinking too much, not smoking, not sleeping
    around etc, and following it will benefit anyone.

However, the prime motivation for all their publications is to interest people in
    becoming jws by whatever means possible. If you read their literature but avoid
    studying with them or attending their meetings, you won't come to any harm IMO.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Young People Ask are some of the dumbest material you will ever lay eyes on. It's like a cross between a third grade health book and a Jack Chick tract. AWFUL!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They have sound advice on many issues. But they say that you wouldn't want to
    drink a glass of water if it only had one drop of poison in it.

The sound advice is just to get people reading. Cover articles vary so that sooner
    or later, a person will be interested. Once their foot is in the door, the poison
    starts. It's alot more than a drop.

If you notice the real message in many AWAKE articles, it is this:
    Jehovah will destroy the world soon, removing all the problems they write about.
    Get on Jehovah's side by agreeing to study the literature with JW's and maybe
    you can avoid being destroyed. Meanwhile, here's some advice on how to cope.

• minimus
    minimus

There might be a truism but the reality is the Witnesses live in their own little world so I would be very careful of their ideas because of their narrow mindedness.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

IMO, the best thing to do is to become your own person and develop your own set of morals and standards by which you want to live your life. We can consider the benefits and consequences of certain avenues of behavior, and decide on our own whether or not we want to pursue them. We get better at this as we get older and more mature, and as we gain more experience in life.

Some of your morals may line up with what the JWs believe, and some of them may not. I don't think any of their teachings should be wholly embraced or wholly discarded. We just have to figure out what kind of person we want to be and what kind of life we want to live, and act accordingly.

• undercover
    undercover

Some of the Awake! articles are informative about animals, plants and history. Nothing all that deep, but then most of their readers aren't used to heavy research anyway.

The JW view on avoiding drugs, alcoholism, pre-martial sex, etc. is not all that extreme. Some of their stances on certain things may not be as open-minded as some would hope (i.e. homosexuality). The problem comes when members can't follow the puritanical laws and the punishment ends up being quite harsh and damaging.

I've always found it curious (and hypocritical) that JWs expect people to listen to them and give them permission to expound on their views and beliefs, but as individual JWs, we were to not allow anyone else to try to share their beliefs or views with us (except to disagree with it).

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

JWs teach that "bad associations spoil useful habits". I agree with that teaching, and that's why I don't associate with them.

W

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Some of the advice within their literature regarding
    staying out of trouble is helpful.

Personally, it helped me lead a clean, moral and
    clean-cut life and till this day I am grateful.

I would say the youth book has some information
    that is helpful. Some of the young people ask
    articles in the Awake magazine also.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

My late step-father was a veritable FOUNT of good and sage advice. Alas, he was a gibbering alcoholic slob and never took his own advice. I would think there are better places to find "good advice" than from thoroughly evil men such as the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit