convention etiquette

by karvel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

These were my suggestions on another thread:

Okay, common sense folks. Regardless of what the OKM says, you wouldn't wear
    a badge if you changed into jeans, shorts, or t-shirts. I know some weird j-dubs who would
    but the common sense folks would not.

If you have kids, have them change. It's just common sense. Window washers don't make enough
    money for the kids to ruin suits everyday.

If you go to the hotel first, then want to go to fast food, change. Who cares what they say, it's just
    common sense. Why would you stay in your sunday best for a whopper?

If you go to the pool, you aren't going to wear a badge.

The badge makes the group as a whole look like drones of a collective, even the j-dubs know that.

Go anywhere you like for lunch during the session. I doubt they have created a judicial reason for this.

If someone is sick, and needs to spend alot of time in the washroom, either ignore it, or tell them to stay
    at the hotel that day. If they are a kid, let one parent skip the convention day. (Don't knock each other
    down fighting to be that parent.)

Take as many cars as you need to take, save seats for those that absolutely arranged to sit together,
    don't worry about the "best" seats. Who needs to see the speaker's face for his talks?

Decide what you will contribute before you go to the convention. If you are going to wait until sunday to
    see how much you can afford, you are giving too much. You already gave up college and weekends and
    part of your vacation.

And if your t-shirt that you changed into before going to Burger King happens to
    say NIKE or UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA, just wear it. I suggest you wear these
    on cleaning days, too. If they send you home, you know you gave them a chance
    to use you.

If you have to watch more than one kid, and they ask you to volunteer, feel free to
    decline.

Let the upwardly mobile brothers that want to become elders do the congregation
    cleaning assignment during the sessions. That gives you more time to socialize
    or leave for the pool.

If you are a bookstudy overseer, and Sister Mooch says she doesn't have enough
    money to go, tell her that she could just stay home, somebody will probably tape the
    sessions, or she can read your notes. Tell her you will be glad to sit down with her
    after the convention to set up her budget for next year.

And many of you brothers should wear those slogan t-shirts at the pool. It's a rough site without
    them, and the plain white t-shirts don't hide it when they are wet. SISTERS, TOO.

Just use your own common sense. If you are reading this, it's not like you are desirous
    of advancing in the WTS. It could be just what you need to help you look spiritually weak
    without really doing anything wrong.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I was just thinking....This is probably going to come back and bite them in the butt the first time some of the brothers go to a restaurant or their hotel bar and have a few too many (and we all know they do like their booze), then start getting loud and obnoxious. What kind of example is that going to reflect?

• sir82
    sir82
    She just told me a week ago that the WTS does NOT tell you what to wear to meetings!

Well, of course, she's right!

They skipped right over that, and went right to telling you what not to wear when you are not at a meeting!

You apostates with your half-truths!

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

This "no jeans" policy is not really new. Here in NYC we have had these Service Dept mutts putting this in convention parts for years. They went so far last year to have a "demonstration" with a married couple after a convention session. The wife was wearing jeans and the elder "gently" counsels her on it.

tsof

• Numinous
    Numinous

Where else in the world would you see a woman in a $300. dress craning her neck a foot and a half away from her body to eat her yogurt in an arena where a week before hosted Slayer and Marilyn Manson? Only in BIZARROWORLD. The idea of not changing and wearing the badge is to keep good behaviour up by wearing the "good behaviour" clothes. I used to change in the car while we were stuck in the traffic jam of getting out of there. Those were the days...

• karvel
    karvel

thanks for the responses guys and gals. didn't realize there was another thread on this already. i didn't have a KM and i was doing the mics at the time so it was kind of a shock to hear them say "no jeans." i was looking around mouthing "what the f...?" but nobody seemed fazed 'cept for me. they were just basking in the 'new light.' i'm glad i found this forum and other so-called 'apostate' sites. really opened my eyes to those morons. i feel like wearing cut-offs and a tshirt to the actual convention now, just out of spite. lol.

• barbiecon
    barbiecon

Well they may be going beyond what is written and I would say that is the truth. But, hey, if that’s so I don’t have to do/obey it do I? I will wear shorts as I please. Oh, and comfortable shoes. ((Oh, and beer at lunch outside under the eucalyptus trees.))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit