If you could know when the end was coming, would you want to know?

by avidbiblereader 15 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    If I know when the end was coming long time ago, probably my plans would have been different!

True that averyniceguy!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont think anyone we can trust is going to tell us when the end is coming.

But if I run into this person who can tell me when the end is coming all ask him for next weeks lottery numbers. That way I can test him and make sure and have a good time until the end comes.

If he cant give me next weeks lottery numbers, I dont want to talk to him about his ability to tell me when the end will be here.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I guess you would need to clarify what "the end" means. To the JW's the end is the battle of armageddon, to church people, it is the rapture,followed by tribulation, then armageddon, then 1000's years of peace, then the earth will burn.

But to answer your question, yes I would like to know. It would help me put my finances into perspective, and help me plan for a career or retirement. Personally I dont believe we are near the end just yet. Alot of things will take place before that will happen.

You see as JW's, up until 1995 we were taught that we were living in the last days, as based upon the generation of 1914. So many of us falied to get a decent career, college, or plan for retirement.

But if you were to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the end was only 5 years away or less, then why bother busting your butt, working overtime?

This is how the false JW doctrine affected me, because I was taught that there were only a few years left, and not to plan for a decent career.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Realistically speaking, JG, you hit it right outta' the ballpark for me. I was convinced, as far back as the mid 70's that we had not much longer for this world. I was overtly concerned about where we were in the stream of time as it pertained to Jehovah coming to give theses ^#@?*#$ an eviction notice off the planet.

I was conditioned to believe that any expending energy in trying to forge a future for yourself, in this life was selfish, pointless and an absolute waste of time as the world would be over before any of this took place. Now, my life is just about over, and the world will continue to go on without me, for the most part. I, now have to look forward to working the rest of my life, for as long as that may exist. With all the drugs, booze and pills, and sex used to quell off the impending doom to come, however, I think I may have voided the warranty that comes with this unit, as it is. ( Psalms 90:9-10 )

I only wait for God's continued mercy, however, as he has covered this foolish child of His from day one, it would seem. After it's all been said and done, God has kept me here long enough to get a better than average understanding of the Society. What it is, and what it is not. I am no longer affraid of that man behind the curtain who lives in OZ. None of them!

• zack
    zack

I never to subscribed to the "end" being on a schedule. I always thought it was more of like baking a cake. You put it in the oven for 30 minutes just like the directions say but you still have to take it out and put a fork in it to see if the batter is really cooked. Once it's baked thoroughly, then it's done.

However, the end ala JW teaching is not something I believe in anymore. Though, if I did, I would want to know the same way most people want to know how much time they have left when they're diagnosed with a terminal illnes.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Actually I would have liked to know when but then it's not so because of certain things.

God knows.

hibiscusfire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit