ARE YOU PSYCHIC..........................AND WHAT DID YOU THINK AS A JW ?

by vitty 45 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

I think all people can communicate at a higher level for eg how many can times do you and your partner think of the same thing at the same time? or you can be thinking of a person and they ring you?

But if you really feel that you are psychic or that you communicate with "dead people" how did you cope with it when you were a witness?

Did you think it was demons? I knew someone who thought he was being sexually bothered by demons

Or does it just come into fruition once you are out of the mind trap of the borg?

whats you experiences?

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

"Some such ones have tried making a living out of such demonic practices."- The Quacktower, July, 1, 2007

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/031807/fortune-telling-head-in-a-box.gif

• Brigid
    Brigid

I would have dreams and visions as a child that were yet to happen. They are usually of ordinary events. Yes, I and my mother were convinced that it was the demons. Obviously the house we had just moved into or some item we'd bought at a garage sale.

I learned to sublimate these dreams and visions and now am learning to re-claim that current that yes, we all possess a channel to. Now it is more of a strong intuition. I know when I need to call someone close to me. I get fairly good readings on people when I am in close contact with them. My favorite is dream visitations from people usually who have passed to the other side, gone on to the collective unconscious or what have you but those are the best, most restful dreams even though they are vivid and alive. Sometimes a dream of the dead is just a dream but it's the feeling upon awakening when one has truly been visited. It's like you have slept for days. It is amazing! Havent' had one in a while. I am due.

• Terry
    Terry

There is an industry devoted to selling books, films, newsarticles, personal readings, etc. out of the concept that Psychic Powers exist.

Fact of the matter is, this has been researched to death. In the early stages of research the scientists doing the research naively failed to protect themselves from fraud. (It just never occured to them, apparently.)

However, professional magicians and reformed conmen protested enough and gave plentiful input which transformed these tests into rigorous examinations of claims.

In the last 15 years the results are dramatically abundant: there is no such thing as Psychic Power.

Amazingly--(or maybe not so amazingly now that I think of it) the exposure of the tricks and frauds has been rather quiet and unpublicized. The TV shows and books and films and pseudo-documentaries continue like no refutation ever happened!

Why?

MONEY!!

Enough money is made off the fraudulent premise of psychic power to cause those who should know better to turn a blind eye.

This intellectual dishonesty is scandalous.

The JEHOVAH'S WITNESS OPINION is quite astonishing!! The JW's assert there REALLY ARE psychic powers, but; that they come from Satan!!

Why?

Because by making psychic powers real they reinforce the danger of Satan in order to keep gullible believers shivering under their beds and running to Kingdom Halls for protection.

Equally scandalous!

The history of so-called sixth sense, psychic power claims is an interesting one. All along the way intelligent and dilligent investigators have been able to expose the fraud---but--nobody seems to care!!

• Terry
    Terry

FYI

[edit] Psychical research

Main article: Parapsychology

The rise of modern inquiry into reports of psychical phenomena coincided with the introduction of modern Spiritualism in 1848 and the movement's claims of paranormal abilities. Shortly thereafter, the Society for Psychical Research was founded in Britain (1882) and the American Society for Psychical Research was founded in the United States (1885). Spiritualism was so widespread and the reports of its effects so numerous and impressive that it was inevitable that scientists would be attracted to the alleged phenomena. Early psychical researchers concerned themselves with studying mediums and spiritualist claims. In the early 1900s, a dissatisfaction with the results of the research and political disagreements within psychic research organizations led to a new approach and a new term for the study of psychic phenomena: parapsychology. [4]

Parapsychology began using the experimental approach to psychic phenomena in the 1930s under the direction of J. B. Rhine (1895 – 1980). [4] Rhine popularized the now famous methodology of using card-guessing and dice-rolling experiments in the laboratory in an attempt to find a statistical validation of extra-sensory perception. [4]

In 1957, the Parapsychological Association was formed as the preeminent society for parapsychologists. In 1969, they became affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science. That affiliation, along with a general openness to psychic and occult phenomena in the 1970s, led to a decade of increased parapsychological research. [4] During this time, other notable organizations were also formed, including the Academy of Parapsychology and Medicine (1970), the Institute of Parascience (1971), the Academy of Religion and Psychical Research, the Institute of Noetic Sciences (1973), and the International Kirlian Research Association (1975). Each of these groups performed experiments on paranormal subjects to varying degrees. Parapsychological work was also conducted at the Stanford Research Institute during this time, research which continued till February 2007. [6] [4]

In 1979, survey conducted to assess belief in one specific field associated with psychics (ESP). It covered 1,100 US college professors and indicated that more than 50% of them believed that ESP is either an established fact or a likely possibility". Belief was shown to be highest among those involved in arts and humanities, but lowest among psychologists. [7]

FieldBelief
    Natural sciences55%
    Social Sciences (exc psychology)66%
    Arts, Humanities, Education77%
    Psychology35%

[7]

The methodology and results of parapsychological work are often debated within the scientific community. [citation needed] However, a consensus within the field of parapsychology is that certain types of psychic phenomena such as psychokinesis, telepathy, and precognition are well-established experimentally. [3] [8] [9] [10] [11] Critics such as Ray Hyman argue that the evidence for psi (psychic phenomena) needs further replication and theoretical work before it is accepted. [12] However, the existence of psychics and the validity of parapsychological experiments is disputed by skeptics. [13] [14] [15] [16]

[edit] Skepticism

The possibility that psychic phenomena are real is often met with skepticism, both in the scientific community and the general public. [weasel words] Skeptics say that the evidence presented for its existence is unverified or not sufficiently verified for scientific acceptance. Many parapsychologists who study psychic phenomena agree that many of the instances of more popular psychic phenomena such as mediumism and other psychic feats, can be attributed to non-paranormal techniques such as cold reading and hot reading, or even self- delusion. [17] [18] [19] Magicians such as Ian Rowland and Derren Brown have demonstrated techniques and results similar to those of popular psychics, but they proffer psychological explanations instead of paranormal ones. [citation needed] They have identified, described and developed complex psychological techniques of cold reading and hot reading.

[edit] James Randi

Former stage magician and noted debunkerJames Randi has offered a $1 million prize to anyone who can actively demonstrate that they possess a paranormal ability. [20] In order to claim the prize, a challengers must first complete a preliminary evaluation - demonstrate psychic ability in uncontrolled circumstances - They must then demonstrate the same ability under controlled circumstances. [20] According to the text accompanying the challenge, no challenger has ever passed the preliminary evaluation. [20]

Correspondence and claims from 150 applicants are listed on the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) website. [21]

Spend a wee bit of time in an honest inquiry and you'll find enough rope to hang the notion of paranormal ability.

?True Believers? don't WANT to be dissuaded!

• Terry
    Terry

I don't wish to beat this deceased horse much longer...but.....

I work in a bookstore in the Religion, Philosophy and Metaphysics sections. I have been dealing with paranormal books now for three years. These are books I'd never have picked up and looked at for any other reason were it not connected to my employment. This has been a GOOD thing for me.

While I sit at lunch I'll read. What I discover I jot down and research at home.

The range of wild claims, assertions and assumed veracity were beyond my wildest speculation!

Society has been indoctrinated in the paranormal as a GIVEN! It is assumed that all those colleges, labs, institutes and Phd.'s have done enough to prove there is "something" going on beyond science!!

Balderdash and piffle!

This is more plugging in to human need than it is anything else. Persons disappointed with the failure of religion to be real and meaningful jump out of the frying pan and into the fire of psychic belief.

There is enough media feeding this unproved dalliance to keep everybody busy.

I'm astounded by the number of well-educated people who regularly consult Astrology books for helpful hints about their love live and their future. In for a penny; in for a pound it seems.

Once you accept the notion that the invisible is more real than the visible you are on a slippery slope to believing almost anything.

I think people use the same part of their brain which religion fits into for this sort of thinking.

All the "proof" you'll ever encounter are TESTIMONIALS about this incident and that occurancepersonally experienced. This is about as substantial as UFO kidnappings, Elvis sightings, Bigfoot hunts and JFK assassination theories.

For those who want to believe; no explanation is necessary.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I knew you were going to say that Terry.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

I think that there are people who do have a 6th sense about something...many people have that experience. Wether or not those are paranormal experiences is anyone's guess, I just think that it's part of our brains ability, and some people have it, and some dont...just my 2 cents.

• Terry
    Terry
    I knew you were going to say that Terry.

Wow! That's really weird! Last night I dreamed you were going to tell me that!!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Intuition is powerful. Our minds evolved to jump to very accurate conclusions based a very little information. Our minds are not naturally set up to handle logic and statistical mathematics.

Then there are archetypes. These are the few things that we habitually think about. Our minds are mostly looking for obstacles and dangers. We have evolved pretty good detectors for the things that bring us pleasure - sex, food etc. Dangers have to be projected and rehearsed. That's primarily what our thinking is - scenarios for danger. In word association tests the first word that usually comes to mind is its opposite. So, when you think of someone you love and is near and dear to your heart your mind automatically pokes around with the possibility of losing that person. These ideas are pushed into the background during the daily hustle and bustle but at night they emerge in our dreams. We dream of younger people dying in accidents and older people dying of heart attacks.

There are many other plots that are common subjects in our imaginations. Falling in love. Losing something or someone. Finding something. Unusual success. Extreme embarassment - etc.

We have these dreams all the time and forget about them. But if one of these frequent situations pairs up with a dream we think we are psychic.

This is probably an evolutionary trick to keep us focused on the negative possibilities. Survival is more a matter of avoiding the bad than obtaining the good. Religion emerges as a buffer for the reality that life isn't much fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit