Help! Raccoons!

by expatbrit 24 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

The other evening when I put the garbage out, I got that creepy "I'm being watched" feeling.

Elders? I thought, looking around in a discreetly paranoid fashion.

Nope. It wasn't elders. Over by the neighbours I caught a glimpse of a familiar bandito face, looking nervously at me and greedily at my garbage.

I half-heartedly got out the hose and gave Mr. Raccoon a good soaking with my spraygun, but I knew this would not be a permanent deterrent.

Groan! We're in a new development, and so far haven't had a problem with these little bastards. But, sure enough, the next morning, the garbage had been rifled by little furry hands.

What this means is that I AM AT WAR! But, I don't really know of any ways to keep the devils away. I'm too much of a weenie to shoot them coz they're really kinda cute. Plus what do I do with the bodies?

Does anyone know of any good ways to put them off my garbage? Pepper spray? Onions? A copy of the WT and Awake?

Expatbrit

• msil
    msil

yes - put food out for them. We have many racoons each night - no garbage problems - we just put out some cat pellets

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Tell em you're moving, then don't move?
    Move and don't tell them?
    Rifle their garbage?
    Try to place magazines with them when they come?
    Movement sensors on the house to turn on the lights?
    Don't wrestle with em, Racoons are BAD MOFOS.
    Hey, Racoon is GOOD if ya know how to cook em, don't be afraid to experiment.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• TR
    TR

Shoot their asses with a paintball gun.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• LDH
    LDH

E,

I grew up on a nice little chunk of land, and we always had racoons. Some years the families were friendlier than others.

Way behind the garage, we had a compost/mulch pile on which we put all of our non-meat food garbage. It was a picnic site for deer, racoon, foxes, etc.

We loved watching them. Humans are encroaching on their natural environment, they are scavengers and need to eat!

I'd suggest getting the big metal garbage cans with the locking lids. Then, if YOU WANT TO, reserve a bucket into which you throw your fruit/veggie garbage. Put it out once in a while; it'll be a nice treat for them.

On a side note, there was this guy at our hall growing up, he was a real freak/perv/wierdo--df'd when I was like 10. His daughter was my sister's best friend.
    ONce we went out to the country to visit them and he forbade us from going into the barn.

Kim and my sister decided to go look anyway--this bastard had about 200 racoon skins hanging and drying-he was an illegal poacher. It bothered my sister horribly, and Kim got the crap beat out of her. My father thought this dude was so bizarre we never went back out there.

Lisa
    Loves furry things class

• Xena
    Xena

lol I can relate ex..went camping last weekend and forgot to bring the food into the tent...woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of twigs cracking under tiny feet...flashed the light outside..hoping the JW's hadn't decided to try any early morning tent to tent work...and there they were (not the JW's thank god) cramming all my nice white bread into their mouths..lol but they are so darn cute I just let them have it. Besides the untimate justice is this stuff will clog up their systems instead of MINE!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Give them food hey?

Sounds suspiciously like appeasement to me! Are you not afraid that one evening when you get home they'll be sitting at the dinner table, forks in little furry fingers, waiting for you to serve them?

Expatbrit

• roybatty
    roybatty

This might sound to easy but get some racoons traps.

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Raccoons are the monkeys of the civilized world. They have oposable thumbs and everything. They will fish out crayfish from a river, take them to a nice flat rock and use small rocks to crack their shells open and eat them. Yup, they use tools. THey are real cute and very smart.

the panda bear was thought to belong to the same family as racoons at one time.

Facts:
    Jet black facial mask, 5 to 7 rings on bushy tail

“Human-like” paws

Nose to tail length from 60 to 82 centimeters

Weighs between 4.5 and 11.5 kilograms

latin name:Procyon lotor

MEANING OF NAME: Procyon (before dog) refers to the ancestral stock of dogs. Lotor (washer) refers to the raccoons’ habit of washing their food in water prior to eating. This belief is in fact a popular misconception.

baby raccoon cry of distress is very similar to the cry of a human baby. Homeowners often complain about sleepless nights as a result of baby raccoon chattering directly above the master bedroom. The mother raccoon being nocturnal, prefers this location, as it is the quietest part of the house during daytime.

aaaaaaawwwwwww

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Are our canadian brethern allowed to own paintguns? Maybe - if they register the paint pellets?

Sprinkle a liberal quantity of hot red pepper powder over the garbage in your garbage cans. When the 'coons try to dig through it, they get discouraged. Your garbageman will thank you - NOT!

OK - to keep your garbageman happy - sprinkle at least a tablespoon of hot red pepper powder over your garbage before you close the bag and put it in the can. I'm assuming that you're using plastic garbage bags that can be tied shut. The pepper won't bother man nor beast unless 'e tries to rummage thru the contents of the bag.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit