We need to contribute so JWD doesn't shut down so often

by restrangled 37 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

The only problem with clicking the ads is they are usually jw related. Bookbinding, WT Library, WT Tours, etc... sorry I would rather send hard cold cash than have any jw business think the public is truly interested in them.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I don't think that's how the ads here work. If you click an ad from this site I'm sure there is a counter that keeps the number of times it gets clicked. So it benefits this site, not the one in the ads. The only thing I worry about these ads are unwanted cookies or spyware that might be in those sites once you click on the ad.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the thoughs.

There are a couple of unrelated reasons that the site goes down ...

First, it doesn't seem to like patch-Tuesday which is when Microsoft sends out updates. I have them auto-install but for some reason the site sometimes goes a bit funny after an update. I may look at making the updates manual (although it is important to get security updates applies ASAP) or making the server reboot regularly.

Secondly, the database is getting rather big (about 5Gb) and the backups will fill the HDD if they are not cleared down regularly. Now we are settled I can look at setting up a local backup system to do this automatically ('cause basically, I forget !). Also, I may invest in some compressing-database backup software which will help.

The system is pretty large for a forum and runs amazingly well. I am in the middle of re-writing / updating the software which should also improve things and when this is finished I am also looking at upgrading the hosting patform that it runs on to something with a bit more oomph. The actual server reliability isn't the problem though so just getting something faster wouldn't necessarilly help.

Finally, I do have some monitoring software which I can use to setup some alerts to go to my phone when it goes down. It normally manages to go wrong 5 minutes after we check the site and go to bed, LOL.

• DJK
    DJK

Thanks for the update Simon.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks Simon.

r.

• JH
    JH

Yeah, very often I can't access this forum, or it freezes up.

That didnt happen in the 4 1/2 years that i post here....

Did i say 4 1/2 years

Oh, I need a life....

• mouthy
    mouthy

Simon -as you know I used to send the "widows mite" occasionally when you were in England. But then when you moved to Canada I asked for your address to be able to continue..But recieved no answer.
    Are you shunning me????
    Would love to hear how you like this move? Are you wishing you were back in jolly ole England ??

as I do on occasions? What about Angie & the family do they like it.?? Please let us know
    Love you muchly
    Grace Gough

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

carla:

The only problem with clicking the ads is they are usually jw related.

Just think though - the JW sites may be paying Google for the advertising and don't realise they're financing an 'apostate' site

• wednesday
    wednesday

Not a bad idea.

recall Simon posting a thread on what to do when you INTERNET connection goes down.

Also, finding other sites that you can post on and enjoy would help take up the slack for the hours this site is down.

Since I have been away from jws for a while, I like to post on many sites. I think it has helped me get away from the jws mindset.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

If there was a youtube link on here, I'd guarantee you that I'd be clicking on that one! Also a link to Pogo games. I play Pogo games a lot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit