TooBad TooSad

At circuit and especially district assemblies so many witnesses take

notes of what was being said at such a feverish pace that I would ask

myself: "What are they hearing that I am not hearing that is so important

or what am I missing?" I am just curious if any one here took notes at

assemblies and why?

• ferret
    ferret

Only if I had to do a report on a certain talk at next service meeting.

• carla
    carla

Don't they supply a whole printed packet just for note taking? Found one from one my went to. Filled out completely

• startingover
    startingover

I too never did it unless I had to prepare a part based on what was said.

I've actually heard it said by some that notetaking is how they keep from falling asleep.

• journey-on
    journey-on

It makes you look oh, so theocratic!... "Everyone, look at me, I'm totally absorbed in this fascinating earth-shaking talk and when I get home I'm going to review the scriptures that were skimmed over and used out of context and uplifting points that were brought out!"

• exwitless
    exwitless

I NEVER took notes at any meeting or convention. God, it was torture enough just to have to hear it!

There was one devout sister in our congregation who took notes at every single public talk (and probably still does.) After every Sunday meeting, she would go home and type up her notes on a typewriter. She filed them in alphbetical order by the title of the talk. Because she was (is) still in the borg for so long, when they would announce the title of the upcoming public talk she already had notes on, she would go home and pull out her previous typed notes from the last time she heard it. She would bring that to the talk, make additional notes again. She would go home, retype it, adding in any new tidbits of info. Can you imagine putting that much effort in to every single Sunday public talk? And, by the way, she NEVER missed meetings, was always "prepared" (meaning studied, looked up every scripture, made notes in the margins of her WT).

• Threestars
    Threestars

I used to take notes to alleviate boredom. I had to be really careful, though, not to let anyone see my notes, since they were mostly doodles and poems. I always destroyed them ASAP or had a "scripture list" to show my Dad.

• AZ
    AZ

Yes it was a waste of time, but then so was going to meetings and the assemblies in the first place. I found that taking notes keep me occuppied. I know they always told everyone that if they took notes they could review them later and recieve even more "scriptual food from Jehovah's heavenly table" BLAH BLAH BLAH

I only took notes at the assemblies and of course the speaker talks faster than anyone can write...so I didn't get much down.

I loved to see a show of hands on how many people ever looked at those notes again...Just the WTBTS way of sucking more time out of our lives. I remember one meeting when the CO was there and they gave everyone a graph of how much of our week was actually spent in service to god as if too prove that they didn't ask for that much of our time.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

just to keep from falling asleep, but i also was a sincere note taker...I believed all the garbage they spewed from the platform, I took it to heart...it was all emotional for me...not logical.

After a while, i began to care less and less about what was said,and took longer and longer naps at the conventions...the speaker's voice lulling me to a blissful sleep...

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Heh. Twelve or so years ago work sent me on a course, and the only thing I recall from it is that they gave us a pack of textas and a BIG notebook to take notes with, and taught us mind mapping; put the main point in the middle of the page and draw sub-points out from it. I really dug it and started doing it at meetings and assemblies. It kept me awake and looking interested. Over the years I developed a code for it, which included red and orange denoting the most ridiculous and absurd things I couldn't believe. I eventually realised that my notes were getting more and more red and orange in them.

Mum found my old notebooks last year and showed them to me, trying to convince me that I used to have such passion for the truth. I opened them up: mostly red and orange. I couldn't bring myself to explain the code to her.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit