I always had to chuckle at this

by TooBad TooSad 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Casper
    Casper

I took notes at every Assembly and Convention, it helped me to concentrate on what the speaker was saying. My MS Husband also used them for his part in the review... (he was always off busy somewhere). But, the Main reason I did it was because our PO would watch us to make sure we were doing it... UGH. It was STRONGLY suggested by our PO that we all sit in the same section... Better for him to keep an eye on us. ;-)

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I took notes because I was program to believe I had to take notes, same thing with all the rest.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I took notes, not a ton of notes but I took them. When I actually went to assemblies I believed what I was being taught and wanted to make sure I got the most out of it. Also my dad was an elder and my parents would ask us things to see if we were paying attention- so it came in handy for that too.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I went through a few "feverish note-taking" phases. One time I just couldn't believe I had written three pages of notes from the guy's talk. I was sitting with my friends and wanted to look so "spiritual!" Now I never take notes at the meetings. I put down maybe half a page of notes, or nothing at all, for the CA and DA talks.

Since I don't care to be there, there's no point in wasting my time.

My dad takes copious notes on every talk. I'll find random notebooks, and there will be his notes there, in the back! Notes for days! I think it just gives him something to do. My poor sister was taking notes on that propaganda piece, "Young People Ask: What Will I Do With My Life?"

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was the awful person taking detailed notes, practically word for word. Not because I believed any of it, just because it looked good - I was desperate for approval. It turned out to be useful, now when I want to, I can open up my laptop and take very fast notes. That has come in handy at business meetings.

It's also useful because if you're that busy no one bothers you and you don't have to actually participate in anything - you're too busy keeping the records!

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I was exactly like found-my-way. I took notes so that I would pay attention, and was very sincere that I had the truth and was doing all in my power to follow.

Now looking back I can see how I began the great disconnect. I stopped taking notes at the assemblies and started looking around. Was kind of amazed how everyone looked to me. Like glazed eyes, parents struggling to keep their kids quiet, important ones always standing around etc. Took a few years, but finally said this is all BS.

Leslie

• kifoy
    kifoy

I took notes. At least I wrote down the scriptures and tried to write down a keyword or two.
    My mother always took great and detailed notes, so I was taught to do so too.

The notes somehow helped me to stay focused and to not fall asleep, but looking back on my notes some days after, there was not much to understand other than a scripture here and there... (terrible handwriting and disconnected keywords)

After convensions (especially after the summer conventions), at the "family study" we used to repeat the whole convention program based on our notes (and sometimes also the recording my father had done). My mother's notes were of course always the most "complete". And these family studies were always sooooo boring. zzzz.

kifoy

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I took detailed notes at every talk and throughout every assembly, and even learned a simplified form of shorthand to allow me to keep up.

Nobody ever found out it was just to keep my mind from wandering.

Oh, and Hortensia:

now when I want to, I can open up my laptop and take very fast notes. That has come in handy at business meetings.

It's provided the same advantage for me. Up till late last year, I was taking (and posting, on a discussion list) notes on a weekly webcast, for the benefit of those who couldn't tune in. I was often complimented on the level of detail I was able to capture. (It helped that I was able to type my notes at about 80 wpm.)

The subject? Folk magic!

gently feral

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - because I was assigned a part to review the DC at the Service Meeting - so I took notes

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Yeah I took notes. It was a way to help pass the time. Never looked at them again though, and even when they'd have the review at the meeting, usually couldn't make any sense of things anyways.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit