Lawsuits and WT's exit from Brooklyn

by compound complex 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

BTTT to see if anyone has an update:

Are the Uptons still loyal to Mudder WT ?

Did the WT appeal the ruling ?

Does the WT now pay for Workman's Comp insurance for Bethel, CO's, DO, missionaries?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I know this is an old thread but it's a good reminder. Honestly, I thought it odd that this had gone on for so long as "volunteers". In California you are an employee if you are told when to show up and when to leave. Also, if it's your duties result in your only form of monetary compensation. Emplyers over the years get caught trying to pay employees as outside contractors. The two previously mentioned criteria among many others usually takes them down.

• uninformed
    uninformed

sure would like to hear the outcome, or at least some report on the progress.

Brant

• compound complex
    compound complex

UPTON V. WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY

is an very interesting ongoing 2006 New York state court case involving a Jehovah's Witness named Brenda Upton and the Jehovah's Witnesses themselves. Upton worked as a chiropractor at the Jehovah's Witnesses main Brooklyn headquarters from 1998 until 2001. Chiropractor Upton alleges that she injured her back around 2000, and that she is entitled to worker's compensation benefits. The Watch Tower Society claims that Upton was not an employee, but merely a volunteer who is not legally entitled to any remedies typically available to employees. An administrative law Judge ruled in Upton's favor earlier this year, but the Watch Tower Society vowed to fight his decision. Results of appeal are unknown.

jwemployees.bravehost.com/NewsReports/2007.html-90K

I did a google search and found this on page 10, though the wtinfoservice and jw.com links were #1 and #2 respectively.

Thanks for your interest.

CC

• compound complex
    compound complex

www.jwemployees.bravehost.com

In 1999, MARK O. BARTON was a Jehovah's Witness who murdered his wife and two children before going to two stock brokerage offices, Momentum Securities and All-Tech Investment Group, where he opened fire, killing 9 people and wounding 12. Barton later shot himself to death after a five-hour manhunt when police stopped his van at a gas station. Barton left a suicide note, which explained: " ... I have come to hate this life and this system of things. I have come to have no hope. ... I know that Jehovah will take care of all of them in the next life. ... Please know that I love Leigh Ann, Matthew and Mychelle with all of my heart. If Jehovah is willing, I would like to see all of them again in the resurrection, to have a second chance. ... .

The above is off-topic, but there are countless lawsuits involving Jehovah's Witnesses recorded on this website. The Barton case reveals the frame of mind that leads desperate JWs to do the unthinkable. Then they pray Jehovah will make it all good ...

CC

• compound complex
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Bttt ... regarding OTWO's request for link to Brenda Upton's case against the WTB&TS.

CoCo

• 5go
    5go
    "It'll pretty much put religious orders out of business," Miller said ...

Irony anyone.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting, as it may very well have had a affect. In the original article it said the WTS was planning to build on a vacant lot in Brooklyn. Did the ever go ahead? Since this article the WTS has been selling property in Brooklyn and moving more to Patterson.

• potleg
    potleg

It's always about the money. Always has been, always will be. The watchtower has more in common with Scrooge than Christ.

Whatever happened to the "Bethel Family" concept? Oh yes, that's just their feel good - look good slogan.

Once you are inside and the door slams shut watch out, you are just another piece of machinery to be used until worn out or no longer needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit