Lawsuits and WT's exit from Brooklyn

by compound complex 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Danny, for that information on the sale of Brooklyn properties. I commented on Dr. Brenda Upton's lawsuit against the Society. Below is further pertinent information:

Workers' Compensation Law Judge Stephen Goldstein ruled in Brenda Upton's favor in her case against the Watch Tower organization. WT lawyer John Miller commented that this decision could set a precedent in requiring religious entities to pay millions of dollars in insurance payments and premiums on behalf of their "employees." [The Society claims that Bethelites are volunteers.]

"It'll pretty much put religious orders out of business,"
    Miller said. "It would certainly impact whether we
    would ever want to continue operations" in NY.

www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/index.php/watchtower-money/bethelite-sues-watchtower-society/#more-332

Your comments, Dear Readers, are certainly welcomed!

CoCo

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

But Workers’ Compensation Law Judge Stephen Goldstein ruled Wednesday that Upton is entitled to $400 a week in workers’ compensation payments.

“I’m finding they were not religious volunteers,” Goldstein said. “They were engaged, particularly Dr. Brenda Upton, in a number of work-like activities.”

The Witnesses vowed to appeal the ruling, saying Upton and the other 5,800 Witnesses who live and work in the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ Brooklyn headquarters are volunteers, not employees.

But if the decision stands, the Witnesses - and other religious organizations - could potentially face millions of dollars in workers’ compensation insurance premiums and payments, said church lawyer John Miller.

“It’ll pretty much put religious orders out of business,” Miller said. “It would certainly impact whether we would ever want to continue operations” in New York.

The Watchtower Society owns about 40 properties in downtown Brooklyn and has plans to
    build a huge new structure on a vacant lot.
    Miller would not speculate how the workers’ compensation case would affect those plans.

“We don’t have a spiritual conflict,” said Upton, who has moved with her husband to Washington State.

“Our problem all along has been medical-legal. We are still active Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

I was wondering if there has been anymore on workmans comp issues with the society.

purps

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Wait a freaking minute. since when did The WT$ care about other religuos entities.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

death frosty

The Watchtower isn't shy about appealing to other religious organizations when a ruling such as this affects it. Nor is it hesitant about joining in with them when laws rule unfavorably toward its interest. Remember the Jimmy Swaggart case in California? Whenever money is involved, you can be sure that the Watchtower will use every tactic including aligning itself with other religions.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Thx pahpa, actually I was being facitious. I love the way when the law works for the society they have no problem attaching themselves to mainstream religion and fight for the rights of ALL religious freedom. Than of course they come out with tracks like last years.
    and its Darth Frosty

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

what's really interesting is that they have been running a sweat shop for decades and they have been getting away with it. They might win a lot of issues, but I bet they go down on this one. People have their rights, and worker's compensation is really down on employers who pretend their employees are really just contractors or volunteers. If they have to pay worker's comp. insurance plus interest and penalties going back many years, it will cost them millions and millions of dollars! Then maybe the federal government will get into it to - even counting food and lodging, they aren't getting minimum wage, are they? Whooeeee, what an idea!

• compound complex
    compound complex

BTTT - Thank you, Friends, for your input. This piece from last year may explain alot of what's now happening in Brooklyn.

CoCo

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Has there been any movement since this ruling back in 2006? sammieswife.

• compound complex
    compound complex

sammielee,

I dunno, but I recall a JW saying that she read about it in the newspaper sometime back. Sorry I don't know more.

CoCo

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

It would be refreshing to actually SEE the WTS lose at something in a BIG way!!! It gets tiresome having them slickly slide out from under every shady deal or situation they are involved in. What makes it even WORSE is that they love to boast that "Jehovah is on their side" when they are as slimy as they come. You HAVE to wonder when the playing field will finally become more level....and the evil WTS will get what's been coming to them for decades!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit