What a HS graduate knows about nutrition and health . . .

by Madame Quixote 13 Replies latest social family

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

. . . well, a few weeks ago, my daughter's boyfriend informed her of what her kidneys are for and that she has two. She really did not know.

This evening over dinner (a big, juicy freaking prime rib) I mentioned that I was eating an unhealthy portion. I explained that a healthy portion is not a plateful of whatever it is - as he and I were brought up to believe. He still thinks so.

The (slightly overweight) boyfriend continually gives me weird looks like I'm crazy when I talk about how healthy it is to eat vegies and about how eating meat too much is unhealthy.

Later when asked (in that teen-aged tone of voice that says, "stupid bitch," where I get my information (specifically regarding the link between increased risk of breast cancer and red meat consumption), I just walked away and didn't answer. Instead, I just spammed him using my daughter's screen name with a shitload of scientific research and studies on the links between increased risk of certain cancers and intake of meats, lack of fiber, etc.

WTF do they learn in school?!! How to use computers for gaming, hook-ups and mindless chitchat, no doubt. And how to shovel in that super-sized order of fries while high-scoring in Raknarok?

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Australian schools must be superior. I could locate my kidneys by the end of year 11.

• Scully
    Scully

Strange world we live in, isn't it?

We send our kids to school where they are offered information about healthy lifestyle and nutrition, yet most of their day is devoted to sitting in front of a computer (at school) to do their assigned classwork. We get weekly and monthly "fundraising" requests in the form of "pizza day" and "hotdog day", where kids can have pizza or hotdogs for lunch with chips and pop at school instead of being offered healthier options.

What they are learning from books is being trumped by what is being modelled for them by these so called "leaders".

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>WTF do they learn in school?!!

My 10th grade health teacher told us that our body heat was generated by the friction of blood in our veins. I kid you not.

Dave

• Scully
    Scully

Dave:

My 10th grade health teacher told us that our body heat was generated by the friction of blood in our veins. I kid you not.

Perhaps he/she was also a practitioner of Physiognomy and Phrenology.

*** Watchtower Reprints 1915 Jan 15 p.5611} ***

Man's head is shaped differently; therefore he can think of subjects about which the lower animals cannot think... A man with a head of a given shape cannot think with the same breadth of mind as a man with a better shaped head -- a man who is less fallen. Some have lost more, others less, of the original perfection, of the original intelligence, given man in his creation.

*** Golden Age 1921 Jan 19 p.224 ***

The size of the nose, as also the size of the eyes, is not without significance. The small-nosed man cannot have a judicial mind, whatever his other excellencies may be. And a man whose nose upturns can no more be expected to administer justice than a pug dog can be expected to act as a shepherd.

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: We get weekly and monthly "fundraising" requests in the form of "pizza day" and "hotdog day", where kids can have pizza or hotdogs for lunch with chips and pop at school instead of being offered healthier options.

This is what pisses me off: We're all aware of how bad junk food is, yet the schools continue to promote hamburgers, hotdogs, french fries, ice cream all washed down with Coke. There's the obesity epidemic in the States and Canada's not too far behind yet we continue to see nothing but advertisements for gigantic pizzas laddened with 10 lbs. of cheese on it, McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's and the cafeterias at our schools are no better.

Has anyone watched Jamie Oliver's School Dinner, http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/J/jamies_school_dinners/index.html when he got rid of all the junk food in the cafeteria over in one of the schools in England? The kids were going mental at first because they didn't want to eat chicken or vegetables, they wanted their pizza and fries. The part that floored me and nearly made me gag was when he spoke to one of the doctors at the hospital. The doctor said that the kids are eating so much garbage that their bodies cannot digest it properly and their systems are so backed up that the waste material is in their lungs and they end up in the hospital. These are 5 and 6 year old kids. I was absolutely disgusted at that.

It's not easy to eat healthy and there's nothing wrong with having a slice of pizza or a burger every now and then, but when it becomes your staple food instead of an occasional treat, then you're just asking for trouble down the road.

• carla
    carla

No offense guys, but he is a guy. My kids say the guys in health class do not listen to anything, kind of a blow off class to them. You should hear how retarded they sound when reproduction unit starts or STD's! Now that's scary. But then again if they keep eating like they do they may not have to worry about how reproduction works or getting STD's.

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is one of those issues that makes me want to divorce human society and live in the woods with no Internet or tv. I am really disturbed by all this overeating (and over-consumption in general, but then that's another subject).

My current pet peeve is the IHOP commercial where they advertise a breakfast of stuffed french toast drenched in corn syrup with food coloring (disguised as fruit juice) and 2 bacons, 2 sausage, 2 fried eggs, and a heaping side of fried potatoes. If my estimates are right that breakfast contains 6 bread servings (including the syrup substituting as a starch exchange), 5 proteins, 2 dairies, and 2 vegetables. Oh, and maybe 8 tablespoons of fat! (my guess)

I eat my share of junk every so often but come on!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I remember in 6th grade home economics the teacher announced we are all getting a serving of ice cream! I was disappointed to see how little a serving was.

• Mary
    Mary
    My current pet peeve is the IHOP commercial where they advertise a breakfast of stuffed french toast drenched in corn syrup with food coloring (disguised as fruit juice) and 2 bacons, 2 sausage, 2 fried eggs, and a heaping side of fried potatoes. If my estimates are right that breakfast contains 6 bread servings (including the syrup substituting as a starch exchange), 5 proteins, 2 dairies, and 2 vegetables. Oh, and maybe 8 tablespoons of fat! (my guess)

Yep. Last Saturday my sister and I went out for breakfast. There was absolutely nothing 'low fat' on the breakfast menu and all the choices were pretty much like you described above. There was one "breakfast special" that really caught my eye called "The Truck Stopper". It consisted of 3 giant pancakes, 3 sausages, 3 bacon strips, 3 fried eggs, toast, and a huge side of 'homefries' and coffee. They should have called it "The Heart Stopper". The guy in the next booth ordered it and I was amazed at the size of the plate it came on. Actually, it looked like the platter my mom used to serve turkey on.

I ended up getting some toast (they actually had whole wheat!) orange juice and coffee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit