What a HS graduate knows about nutrition and health . . .

by Madame Quixote 13 Replies latest social family

• juni
    juni

I don't have kids in school anymore, but I have read where they banned soda pop machines now. Thank god!!

I believe good nutrition should be practiced and learned at home. Bag a lunch if your school wants to serve high fat/high salt lunces.

Parents have to suck it up and take control w/this crap food issue. Not that kids can't have occassional junk, but not a steady diet of it. Also, they need to get outside and out from in front of the TV/video games.

When I was in highschool ( 1960's ) there were only a few over weight kids. We did not have all of these fat filled snacks and kids went out and did things outside.

Juni

• rebel8
    rebel8

Mary, Denny's is evil too! I remember when their biggest breakfast was the (original) Grand Slam--2 eggs, 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 hotcakes. That was 20 years ago. Now everything is bigger.

Our governor announced our state meetings are going to follow a new "healthy meetings" protocol for foods, and they are really doing it. There are small desserts at lunch but less snacks and healthier choices, yogurt at breakfast instead of danish.

Thank gawd too. Nothing harder than sitting still during a mind-numbing meeting all day after eating a bunch of donuts and cake. Not that I don't have practice doing that with assemblies and the crappy sodas, ha ha.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

there's nothing wrong with having a slice of pizza or a burger every now and then, but when it becomes your staple food instead of an occasional treat, then you're just asking for trouble down the road.

I agree, Mary! And all with your comments. It is so frustrating and challenging to eat healthfully, especially after a long day at work. Our awareness of the health issues is a plus for us. It allows mindful eating at least some of the time, and a willingness to cut back on the junk and to pay attention to our portions. I suppose some of that is because I'm aging a bit and concerned with longevity in a way that might have been less of a concern when younger, but my mom was an important influence, too.

ItMy daughter and I did manage a critique of the school cafeteria in our discussion, which she brought up, about how salad bar used to be part of the meal plan option without costing extra. Now students are charged extra for the only healthy choices on the menu - mostly whole foods in the salad bar. We both agree that if the cafeteria simply eliminated the processed vegies "which no one ever eats anyway," the cafeteria would recoup at least part of their losses for not charging extra at the salad bar.

But what service industry operates that intelligently? And how many teens are that mindful of healthy eating, even when their parents struggle to teach it? When I cook healthy meals I am exhausted afterwards and rewarded with snyde remarks and/or people aren't hungry or want to go out. So, I'm not only struggling with my own penchant for finding someone else to feed us (the restaurant industry), but also my adult (?) child's complete disinterest in my cooking or my efforts or in learning useful info about nutrition most of the time.

• 5go
    5go

I am shocked I still weigh 140ish I am 5' 11"

I eat only the four food groups

Pizza, Hamburger, Fried, and Chocolate.

But I do work for a living and exercise, mainly walk tough recently I have notice that I can't run like I used to but that because of health problems relating to something else.

stuipid genes and chromosomes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit