How do you deal with anxiety?

by sass_my_frass 18 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I’ve found that I have just about reached my tolerance level for anxiety. The family stuff has pushed me way up there, and every three months I get exams, plus I’m doing job interviews because I’m rather over my stupid little job. I’m finding myself losing my nut sometimes because I can’t get rid of it and just blow out, eg:

A few weeks ago I was doing some advanced SCUBA training involving going inside sunken wrecks and finding our way out in difficult circumstances; eg, blindness through low visibility, failed torch or lost mask. I’m 30m underwater, inside a wreck, leading my blinded buddy out, very low on air, and probably quite nitrogen narcotic. I’ve pulled him through a corridor and am nearly out a hatch into a larger area when he gets stuck on some cabling and I can’t go back in to untangle him without getting stuck in the small space myself, and can’t reach him from outside. I have the worst pure white panic for ten seconds when I scream with anger and fear, possibly spitting out my air regulator and swallowing a lot of water (the memory is pretty hazy). When either he or the instructor sorts him out and we clear him out, I abandon our dive plan and lead him out the way we came in, he puts his mask back on and we surface. Basically, it was a very ugly situation; I panicked because I knew that within minutes we’d be in real danger and there was nothing I could do. The point is that I panicked so badly. A few weeks later I’m still having some kind of reaction to this event and keep reliving it; it might be a trauma that I’m having a little PTSD reaction to.

For a start I should have realised that this kind of stress is outside my capacity at this time and opted out of the blind part of the course, but I’m interested in any ideas and suggestions that people have re dealing with anxiety, when a situation comes up. I actually went to a counsellor last week to try to start dealing with the family situation. She is fresh out of uni and all a bit Psych 101 which wasn’t very useful, and really only suggested some breathing exercises. So, what do people do to be calm?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Sass,

I just wrote to you and now I see your new topic! What a terrifying encounter - like that dealt with in "Men of Honor," where Cuba Gooding, Jr. becomes a master diver. Prior thereto, he is at some New Jersey underwater training facility and lives through a situation identical to yours. Training repairs on an underwater wreck that shifts and topples.
    Here's hoping that all the responses you receive will soon put you in a good space. I read your bio and understand how the family scenario could easily send you over the edge. Please stay tuned and get the help that you need now.

Love,

CoCo

• chelleadam
    chelleadam
    How do you deal with anxiety?

In a word...xanax.

• caligirl
    caligirl

(((sass))) sorry for what you are going through right now.

I second what chell said. It works wonders in those 'I think I am going to die' panic attacks like you describe. I used to have a lot more than I do now. Now, for the most part I can talk myself out of a full blown attack, and just knowing that I have the Xanax if I need it is usually enough of a calming influence. I do utilize some of that slow breathing techniques, and they can help, as silly as they may seem.

Talk to your doctor about some medication to go with your counselling, and try to find a therapist that you can relate to in order to talk your family issues through with. Hang in there, it does get better!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

So, what do people do to be calm?

Stay out of situations like that. Unless you are an adrenelin junkie, because anxiety comes with the territory. That kind of situation is the deffintion of high anxiety.

• juni
    juni

Hi hon!

Wow! Your story made me feel tight in the chest. I have to agree w/what JaquarBass said that at this time time you shouldn't be doing "high anxiety" activities.

I have a problem w/constant anxiety which I am on meds to keep it under control. Xanax would be a good one for short term use. Talk w/your doctor. Also the deep breathing and walking helps to release that "tied in knots" feeling.

Juni

• moshe
    moshe
    The point is that I panicked so badly. A few weeks later I’m still having some kind of reaction to this event and keep reliving it; it might be a trauma that I’m having a little PTSD reaction to.

Stay on dry land from now on and you will be just fine. Sometimes reality is a hard lesson to accept.

• daystar
    daystar

Last year, before Brigid and I started seeing each other in the shape of every cloud, I experienced the first panic attack of my life.

It was not pleasant at all. I was at my sister's for a birthday party for her. I could hardly hold a thought, could only speak in short phrases, which I had to think about very deeply before I could even say them. Needless to say, I couldn't begin to play the board game we were attempting.

Now, I know all about breathing exercises, relaxation methods, etc., but nothing worked. I had to excuse myself to the bedroom to lie down. I was even afraid I may hurt myself, so when I found a phillips head screwdriver on the bathroom counter, I had to remove it from my surroundings.

The only thing that helped was watching Saturday Night Live and MADTV. You know, to let me laugh a bit and relax.

After that, I had mild symptoms, arrhythmia, sleeplessness, etc. And eventually (because I am a guy after all), I saw my physician and he prescribed me Wellbutrin. It helped, quite a lot. And, well, honestly, meeting Brigid helped immensely as well.

Normally, grounding yourself will help. Breathing exercises, etc. Working with my plants have helped at times. Doing something very mundane and earthy helps me sometimes.

• juni
    juni

Hey daystar!

Aren't those panic attacks scarey????? Had one in my life and I thought I was having a heart attack. Got to the Dr. right away and they hooked me up to an EKG and things started settling down. Talked w/the doctor about stuff and then went from there.....

Yes. "Playing" in nature is soothing.

Juni

• anewme
    anewme

Sass, I have no good answers for you either. I am a burn out in the anxiety area. I must live a very simple life now with quiet routine and lots of sleep and naps and calm, balanced with walks through sunny gardens etc......

Keeping my mind and life simple and calm helps so I dont have to take any meds or alcohol for anxiety.

I have seen many people come to rely on the meds and they still suffer so much. I feel practicing good mental hygiene helps a lot. By that I mean, I ask myself questions all the time to test my reasonableness.
    1. Am I making up the conflict?
    2. Am I hysterical, creating a mountain out of a mole hill?
    3. Did anyone die? No? Then it isnt that bad.
    4. Can I do anything about the situation?

Talking it over in confidence with a good friend (my husband) usually calms me down.

But as I said I protect my self now. I limit my exertions, my acquaintances and how much I expose myself to bad news. And instead focus on my happy home life.

Hope you find relief too.

Anewme

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit