Update Regarding How The May 1 QFR Is "Playing" In The Congregations

by Justitia Themis 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I have been emailing with a sister in my congregation regarding the QFR. I told her I wasn't discussing it with most JWs, because I didn't want to hear any of their "new light" garbage. I told her this isn't new light; this just means that what we paraded out in 1935 as "new light" was wrong.

She sheepishly (no pun intended) agreed. Today, she forwarded an email from another JW, who has researched quotes from the publications related to 1935 and how our claims were "vaguely" worded. But, this person DID admit the in the talks, the brothers were much more direct. Then to his or her credit, they concluded that this is not "new light," but shows that our understanding was "dim." So, I do give this person credit.

My friend then concludeds by saying that 'they were preaching the wrong things in the 1st Century also', and she referenced Acts 1:6. I told her that I had to admit to mis-applying that very same scripture at times while out in service. And I pointed out to her that the 6000-pound-Gorilla-in-the-room difference between the 1st Century and our day is that John, Paul, Peter and the rest of the apostles (aka "the GB") did not get together and arrogantly make an incorrect announcement and then preach it for decades, only to have time prove it incorrect.

The problem in the 1st Century was the understanding of some individuals, NOT the understanding of self-proclaimed "channel."

Additionally, I saw a VERY good brother friend of our family; we have traveled together as couples and everything. We haven't seen each other for months. We chatted for about 20 minutes, when I brought up the QFR. That sent him OFF! He "confessed" to me that he had been accessing "bad" websites. SHOCK!!!! I told him I accessed ALL the bad websites. Long story short, he started telling me of the story he read about this sister who used to work in the writing department at Bethel, and how she was very angered by the child abuse thing. I listened to him rant for about another 10 minutes. Then I told him, "You're speaking of Barbara Anderson!"

His mouth dropped open and we had a LOVELY conversation about JW history.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day JT;

'they were preaching the wrong things in the 1st Century also', and she referenced Acts 1:6.

Good grief! I hope you put her right on that one!

To all dubs and their sympathisers one word needs to be cried out: CONTEXT !!!

• ninja
    ninja

A point about Acts 1:6...the disciples ASKED a question of Jesus....the watchtower as you say..ARROGANTLY announced that 1935 was the end of the heavenly calling...there is a world of difference between...is there?(question) and ...there is!!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Uh oh Ozzie, I didn't. I just assumed she was referring to the following passage:

(John 21:20-23) 20 Upon turning about Peter saw the disciple whom Jesus used to love following, the one who at the evening meal had also leaned back upon his breast and said: "Lord, who is the one betraying you?" 21 Accordingly, when he caught sight of him, Peter said to Jesus: "Lord, what will this [man do]?" 22 Jesus said to him: "If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you? You continue following me." 23 In consequence, this saying went out among the brothers, that that disciple would not die. However, Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but: "If it is my will for him to remain until I come, of what concern is that to you?"

This sister is SO much more intelligent than that. Her example is even MORE pathetic...

Justitia

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

No one's talking about it yet, or maybe I'm just talking to the wrong people.

• zack
    zack

No one has talked about it that I know. Most JW's won't care and won't read it anyway. The mags end up in a closet or garbage can.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Most JW's won't care and won't read it anyway. The mags end up in a closet or garbage can.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember it too. They wouldn't recognize a major flip-flop if it bit them in the butt... they are on auto pilot. The only ones that will catch it are already seeing problems and looking for this kind of thing.

• jgnat
    jgnat

...and the sincere ones who hang on every word of the society. The sincere ones will catch it too. I feel sorry for them.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

jgnat,

The sincere ones may catch it, but they won't necessarily see it as proof of the lie; they'll just be depressed because they will understand that the society is saying they may not live to see the pair-o-dice.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I haven't heard a peep out of my jw family about the QFR and their changing of doctrine again.

Funny, the first thing I always read was the QFR in the mags. It always seemed to be a likely place for them to slip in a new teaching and like a good dub, I wanted to be one of the first to know.

Sometimes I don't think they even read their own literature. They have cut down their reading now, only one set of mags a month and then the study articles for meetings. You would think they could keep up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit