Should suicidal or self destructive people have free will?

by The Dragon 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Drag,

Should we have the right to hurt or prey upon others if we choose or want to? Or should that right/freedom be revoked for the greater good of mankind?

Are you changing the subject?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Should we have the right to hurt or prey upon others if we choose or want to? Or should that right/freedom be revoked for the greater good of mankind?

Do you mean get back at someone that has hurt you?

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I don't mean to change the subject...but your points have put this question in my mind...and I cannot start a new topic for awhile...

I am not talking about revenge.....I am talking of misleading or preying on someone for money, control, or power over them...whether you use a gun, knife, or simply outsmart them to get what you want from them.

Should we continue to have the right to do this if we choose? Is there anything good or productive to be gained by preying on others in any fashion?

• Liza
    Liza

Euthanasia and suicidal tendencies should now be confused with each other. A person who wishes for Euthanasia wants to die to end physical suffering that he or she has very very little chance of recovering such as a vegetative state.

Suicidal tendencies are classified as phychological disorders, people with suicidal tendancies are not in thier right mind and are suffering from reversable psychological effects(but it's going to take a lot of professional help).

To give a suicidal person the right to commit suicide because his or her self-pity, deppression, or stress "tells" them to, is like giving a new mother with post-pardum deppression the right to kill her babies, and if she does, put her in prison instead of a mental hospital. Remember there is a reason mental hospitals exists, not just to cage, jab, and give lobotomies to eccentric people.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I am not talking about revenge.....I am talking of misleading or preying on someone for money, control, or power over them...whether you use a gun, knife, or simply outsmart them to get what you want from them.

My question would be, can you use someone without getting used? Generally speaking, you have to go visit the person and spend time with them to get what you want.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Good point MMD!

They are working for their money and don't even realize it? Are they still a victim or is the predator really the victim unbeknownst to them?

that is pretty deep MMD....

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    They are working for their money and don't even realize it? Are they still a victim or is the predator really the victim unbeknownst to them?

Is a prostitute a victim?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

That was a "trick" question. Really, it was.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Very good one too....I will have to look at it from beginnning to end and see who if anyone is taken advantage of I suppose.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Considering I've committed two family members in my lifetime, I feel I can speak with some authority on this subject. The difference, The Dragon and frankiespeakin, is in impairment. If the mind itself is impaired, and it's ability to determine what is wrong with itself, I believe we have a duty to intervene. It is the same as a computer with a bad virus. The computer thinks it's fine, but you have full evidence on the screen that it is not. You intervene or the computer fails.

This is why the frail, ill, and the aged are to give evidence that they are of sound mind when they make heavy-duty decisions near the end of their life. If they are, the Judge will honor their request.

http://www.helpguide.org/elder/advance_directive_end_of_life_care.htm

http://www.thebody.com/content/art16650.html

Freedom is not for everyone, all the time. I had long arguments about this with my teenage son. He advocated full rights of citizenship from infancy (I wonder why? ). I told him we must protect children until they are the age of majority. I gave the example of the admonition, "Do not run out on the road." Real life helped make my point a short while later. I watched my son keep a toddler away from the road. He did not scold or touch the child, but he kept jumping between the child and the road, essentially "shepherding" him to safety.

If you take away their freedom to do so.....are they no longer free? Will they hate you...or thank you when they come to their senses?

Both family members forgave me quickly for committing them when I did. I only intervened when their delusions were dangerous both for themselves and others. In my son's case, he thanked me within days of being committed. In the hospital, at last, he felt safe. He got his first full night's sleep in days, and immediately started to feel better. That incident was the turning point for a whole bunch of positive changes in his life. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit