Should suicidal or self destructive people have free will?

by The Dragon 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Been going through my head lately....if you try to prevent them from doing what they want...they see you as the enemy...but are you?

If you take away their freedom to do so.....are they no longer free? Will they hate you...or thank you when they come to their senses?

Any thoughts?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

I think they should have it, but you need to make sure they don't exercise it. It's better to intervine than not.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

What if they do not even realize they are? Can showing and proving it to them take care of it...or will they hate you for proving what they want to do as harmful to them..in an effort to convince them to do what you think is best for them? If you bust a person in the mouth and restrain them while they are driving off a bridge they didn't know was out ahead and do not believe you when you tell them....are you the enemy?

(off topic.....what is "devil" spelled backwards?)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

People who are suicidal are people thinking of ending either emotional or physical pain. It's the pain seek to escape, not life. I think that as long as there is hope for the person to feel better, like they aren't eat up with cancer or some painful or terminal disease, you should most definitely intervene. All things pass. This too shall pass. I've felt so low I'd rather be dead than to feel that kind of pain, but you know, every single time life has improved and yes, it DID PASS.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It is a personal choice, if a person can not be helped and you have to lock them up to stop them from harming themselves, how far is too far? I think people that wish to should not be interfered with. To live or die is a very personal choice, period.

WHen some one has an illness that leaves them suffering, why should the government stop them from ending thier life, they should be allowed to die with dignity, and as painlessly as possible. DR. Kovorkian has some valid points.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I am also speaking of people who are doing self destructive things to themselves and others..and because they cannot see into the future or far enough ahead to realize it..what happens when someone brings these things to their attention? Are they seen as a friend or foe?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You're only going to be seen as a foe by someone who is deeply disturbed.

I recall hearing a man speak who had jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge and survived. He said the minute he felt air under his feet, he knew he had made a horrible mistake.

Who cares if they see you as a foe?

A person who is dying from cancer, with no hope and horrid pain? Well, maybe it's not right to stop them from dying. But someone who is very short sighted due to depression or drug abuse, that's a different matter. Suicidal feelings do pass. I have had them many times. I am very grateful I have never tried to take my own life. If I had, I would hope you would step in and try to talk some sense, or knock some sense into me, Dragon.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

The person(s) who take on a job like that..trying to stop people from doing things like that to themselves and others...put themselves at great risk and care very little about their personal well-being..almost to the point of being self-destructive themselves in doing so.

How do you tell the person who is trying to help by restraining you...from the ones who are restraining/hindering you to further themselves and their personal plans? THAT is the question.

Both will be claiming to be doing so for your best interest (ie. watchtower and their rules and limits)

Are those rules and limit a powertrip for them......or a protection for you?

Is there ANY way to know for sure without being able to read their minds..or seeing into the future?

I can't see one...if there is.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

NO,

my stepfather and my brother....both have committed suicide.

my daughter has had two drug overdoses, trips to the emergency room, with one ending up in ICU.

I think intervention is all of ours responsibility. Why do we get so upset about the refusal of blood transfusions, the courts having to intervene to save lives.

As far as someone wanting to end their life becuase of a terminal illness, how can you stop them? Would I assist them? I cant honestly answer that right now.

purps

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

How about this senerio: A person is 70 yrs old and doesn't want to go thruough the aging prosess any further, and so they have choosen to end thier life while still quite mobil and able to take care of themselves but feel 70 is as old as he want to be,should he be forced to live longer until he becomes finally dies from natural causes or should he be respected and allowed to choose for himself?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit