NBC News shows no integrity

by M.J. 26 Replies latest social current

• M.J.
    M.J.

I'm pretty upset after watching the crap on MSNBC last night.

They kept milking the story about their package from that psycho, constantly flashing his photos and videos on the screen--just the way he envisioned it.

Repeatedly the psychological experts they interviewed told them that this course of action would only serve to encourage others.

Meanwhile they interview the president of NBC News, who talked about the "careful" consideration about what to do with the contents of the package, deciding to "immediately" turn it over to investigators. (but apparantly not until they copied some of the videos and photos).

For their rationale on their decision to air these materials, all they could offer was, "if we didn't do it, some tabloid would have done it". How so? They were the only ones that got the stuff!

Looks like they couldn't resist the extra bucks.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am careful now to make sure that the constant showing of this maniac pointing his gun at the camera is off now. We sometimes have children in our waiting rooms .......and I just think of how scarey this must look to them.

Its truely bad enough for those that are directly linked, but must we scar everyone in America as well?

purps

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I work in Virginia and there are many people at this office who are alumni or have children attending Virginia Tech. In speaking with some of them this morning, seeing the video on essentially every media outlet has done nothing good for them at all. Many of the families of the victims of this senseless episode who were scheduled to be on the Today show have cancelled their appearance due to NBCs actions with respect to this matter.

To me the proper course was to turn the package over to the authorities, not first make copies for their own benefit prior to turning this over.

• undercover
    undercover

...or maybe NBC is using this material to try to spur the public into a new anti-gun fervor.

From one angle it may appear as if they are insensitive but the material they received is newsworthy and they are a news organization. Sure, their ratings will benefit, but there may be some liberal minded types high up in the company who felt that they could use this to help spur a movement within the national community to change the gun laws.

• BrentR
    BrentR

It's just typical shock whoring by our out of control, insensitive and manipulating news media. The more they idolize this guy the more they are encouraging it to happen again. It is pathetic that he is able to manipulate them from his grave like this.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Insearchoftruth: To me the proper course was to turn the package over to the authorities, not first make copies for their own benefit prior to turning this over.

My first thoughts when I heard they were going to show the videos he sent to NBC

• Warlock
    Warlock

You expect integrity from the media!!!!!!!!????????? I just don't see how anyone could even work for any of those companies. NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, MSNBC....................any of them. Even the local stations.

Warlock

• M.J.
    M.J.

This did not add anything relevant to the story. Just fodder to keep people watching their all-day "live coverage".

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm pretty upset after watching the crap on MSNBC last night.

M.J.

I understand also.I don't think they should even show that stuff on TV. It's horrible.

I turned on the MSNBC when I got home about 7PM last night and saw all those pictures and videos.

I don't understand how MSNBC, in good conscience, can show such repulsive information, things that obviously the killer wanted all people to see.

When I turned off MSNBC at 11PM and went to bed, I really felt really upset too.

Rub a Dub

• undercover
    undercover
    To me the proper course was to turn the package over to the authorities, not first make copies for their own benefit prior to turning this over.

They're a news organization. If anything that is news worthy comes to their attention then they should present it. They gave the material over and then cleared with the authorities that anything they showed would not hamper whatever investigation is going on. What else can you ask them to do?

We may not like the news, we may not like the pictures, but sticking our head in the sand doesn't make it not happen.

That being said, the problem with these 24 hour news channels is that they have to fill their programming up and they will use the most sensational story of the day or week and repeat it over and over and over. But even then, not everyone watches the news at the same time, so I think its up to ourselves to not obsess over a story and allow it to repeat over and over on our televisions when there is nothing else to be gleaned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit