Scared the P~Waddins out of me! Scary People out there!!

by Sparkplug 35 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

P-Waddins? What is that??

I'm glad to hear nothing bad happened....though it seemed that things could go very wrong in a moment...!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2721289620070327

Texas signs new self-defense by gun law

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:14PM EDT

By Ed Stoddard

DALLAS (Reuters) - Criminals in Texas beware: if you threaten someone in their car or office, the citizens of this state where guns are ubiquitous have the right to shoot you dead.

Governor Rick Perry's office said on Tuesday that he had signed a new law that expands Texans' existing right to use deadly force to defend themselves "without retreat" in their homes, cars and workplaces.

"The right to defend oneself from an imminent act of harm should not only be clearly defined in Texas law, but is intuitive to human nature," Perry said on his Web site.

The new law, which takes affect on September 1, extends an exception to a statute that required a person to retreat in the face of a criminal attack. The exception was in the case of an intruder unlawfully entering a person's home.

The law extends a person's right to stand their ground beyond the home to vehicles and workplaces, allowing the reasonable use of deadly force, the governor's office said.

The reasonable use of lethal force will be allowed if an intruder is:

- Committing certain violent crimes, such as murder or sexual assault, or is attempting to commit such crimes

- Unlawfully trying to enter a protected place

- Unlawfully trying to remove a person from a protected place.

The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully slays an intruder or attacker in such situations.

Texas joins several other states including Florida that have or are considering similar laws.

Sympathy for violent offenders and criminals in general runs low in Texas, underscored by its busy death row. The state leads the United States in executions with 388 since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976 by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A conservative political outlook and widespread fondness for hunting also means Texans are a well-armed people capable of defending themselves with deadly force.

It is easy to acquire guns over the counter in Texas and lawful to carry a concealed handgun with a permit.

Don't mess with Texans!!!

Sparkplug, I don't blame you for being very worried. Take every precaution with your precious children -- it almost sounds as though he's been watching. That doesn't sound like a chance meeting.

Nina

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I have 4 girls. Stay on the cops like a bad smell. I am ex-law enforcement, and if you make a big enough stink, they will listen. Good luck.

• Brigid
    Brigid

P-waddens must be a southern term because I knew exactly what it meant before I even opened the post (means you nearly or did wet your pants, you were so scared)

Anyway, Sprky, there is that predator out there (heard about him on the news and I have been scared to walk from my car to my apt in the dark--and I don't scare easily). Sometimes I just get this overwhelming feeling of being watched (I swear, I do not scare easily).

One night, I made Daystar talk to me on my cell phone until I got from my car to behind my bolted door! LOL!!

You're doing the right things (especially telling everyone!!). Just scary, I know! I hate it!

• daystar
    daystar

It's a shame your camera wasn't at hand.

I don't think I'd hesitate to track a person like that down and... well, I don't think he'd be doing much of anything... at all... anymore...

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I don't get it. Why didn't you run out there? I wouldn't have just sat there looking through the window if I saw someone chasing my kid. I would have run out there naked screaming if I had to. At the very least to scare him off or to get his attention onto me instead of my kid. Or so the neighbors could hear and help.

I was pursued in a mall once by a couple. I'm pretty sure they were after my twins who were not even one year old in a stroller. They followed me throughout the entire mall while I ran around like a lunatic, trying to find a security guard. I know how scarry this could be. But to sit at your window and watch? I just don't get it. I'm not trying to be mean. But there just has to be more to it.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I don't get it. Why didn't you run out there? I wouldn't have just sat there looking through the window if I saw someone chasing my kid. I would have run out there naked screaming if I had to. At the very least to scare him off or to get his attention onto me instead of my kid. Or so the neighbors could hear and help.

I was pursued in a mall once by a couple. I'm pretty sure they were after my twins who were not even one year old in a stroller. They followed me throughout the entire mall while I ran around like a lunatic, trying to find a security guard. I know how scarry this could be. But to sit at your window and watch? I just don't get it. I'm not trying to be mean. But there just has to be more to it.

Wow Bluesapphire. If I had a chance to, I would have. From the time he appeared behind her till when he was gone it was just about maybe 10 seconds. I could not even believe I saw it. (fast as a blink) So no there is no more to it. It was that fast. WTF? Do you think I would just sit and watch. He was gone so fast. Kind of like someone reaching out a leg and kicking. It was not as if I sat and video taped it and popped corn. He was there...he was gone and the first thing I did is Jump in the car and try to see where he went. Called police. Really, it is not hard to get. amazing. I could not have even been to my front door byt the time it was over.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Stealth~I also checked on the local neighborhood watch today. When the last person who was over our area moved there was nobody that stepped up. The officer was so happy that I called and had interest, but you know it...he wants me to be over our area. I opted to see if there is a chapter a few blocks over we can join. With all going on, I am willing to pass fliers, and join, be active, BUT there is too much on my plate to address this well and be OVER it. But I will actively participate. I just know when there is too much going on for me to address something well.

Nina~ That law ! MOST ASSUREDLY this is TEXAS. It is like we have out own ......well everything.

Brigid. That is so scary. I have been watching some guy on the news. And having been stalked when younger, I am right there with you in saying it can drive you nuts. It is a very scarey thing. Pleas be careful honey. Daystar~ Now are taking a list of names or faces. Looks like you need to watch out over our gal here. (I am sure you are ALL over it already) Brigid, stay alert. Best defense is to be alert. Looks like you are doing that. I cant stand that we have to live so tense. Ya' know?

• zagor
    zagor

That was really creepy experience sparky, I'm so glad she is ok. This is precisely why I always encourage ladies to train martial arts or at least some self-defense techniques. You can't have weapons always but in hands of martial artist anything can be a weapon, most importantly her mind. If she has any interest in it at all I would enroll her in some form of MA training. If I may suggest so, Wing Chun Kung Fu, that doesn't require muscle strength it basically teaches her power angles and techniques.

I'm really glad she is ok.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I agree that the scary preditors are the ones that aren't listed, But....... Do you think the police would let your daughter look at mug shots?? In Oklahoma, you can get the list off of the internet, and also, look up the Department of Corrections, and see pictures of many in the system, that are recent. (Past 5 years at least)

If you have to do it on the internet, if available, that may be a weekend project to compare the list against possible pictures.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit