Christians could and did. Can JWs? Do they?

by ANewLeif 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

There are many things the Bible says Christians could do and things the Bible describes Christians doing that, according to their doctrine, JWs can't do.

Christians could talk directly to Jesus. (Acts 7:54-60; Acts 9:3-16) Can you? Do you?

Christians could decide for themselves which days they chose to observe without any fear of religious retribution. (Romans 14:5-12) Can you? Do you?

Christians could enter into centers of false religious worship, respectfully listening and teaching, without any fear of religious punishment for interfaith activities. In fact, a careful study of Scripture bears out that this was the most commonly mentioned form of preaching. (Acts 5:17-26, 41-42; 9:19-22; 13:4-47; 14:1-7; 17:1-4, 10-22; 18:1-19:10; 21:26-32; 24:9-21) Can you? Do you?

Christians could baptize others without an extensive doctrinal study course, without the prospective Christian attending any meetings, without the prospective Christian preaching to anyone beforehand, and without verifying that the prospective Christian knows the doctrines of Christianity beforehand. (Matthew 28:19, 20; Acts 2:37-42; 8:26-40; 10:34-48; 16:11-15; 25-34) Can you? Do you?

Christians were individually expected to use logic and reason to determine for themselves whether doctrines they heard were from God or were from false prophets. Their determination was not based on accompanying works (preaching, construction, good deeds, etc.) but their determination balanced solely on the merits of the doctrine itself; the test was contingent upon true or false doctrine, truth or lies. (Acts 17:10-11; Romans 12:1-2; Hebrews 5:11-6:3; 1 John 4:1; Revelation 2:1-4) Can you? Do you?

These are things Christians could do and did do. If Jehovah's Witnesses are doctrinally forbidden to follow the example of Christians, then how can JWs possibly be Christians? I believe if any of Jehovah's Witnesses considers these Scriptures and answers these questions honestly they cannot avoid concluding they are mixed up in a false religion masquerading as Christianity.

ANL

• mouthy
    mouthy

then how can JWs possibly be Christians? I believe if any of Jehovah's Witnesses considers these Scriptures and answers these questions honestly they cannot avoid concluding they are mixed up in a false religion masquerading as Christianity.

ANL

Well of course it just proves that JWs are not Christians. You posted a great post. Test YOURSELVES to see if your in the Faith....

• kwr
    kwr

Your proclamation that the JW's are not Christians is absurd. Just because different Christian sects have different practices and beliefs doesn't mean they are not Christian. The JW's are a Unitarian sect of Christianity with fundamental beliefs. That doesn't mean they are bad people. it just means they are different then Catholics or baptists in their belief system. I have known wonderful JW's and jackass JW's in my life. Have you known good and bad people in other religions?

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

kwr,

I am not attacking the people. I am addressing the religion's doctrine. My contention is that the doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses disallows JWs from being Christian; the doctrine prevents them from doing what Christians do. There were good and bad Jews as well, but no one argues that good Jews were Christians. There are also good and bad Islamists, but they are not Christians.

I do not suggest that all non-Christians are bad people. If you read that into what I wrote it came from your own mind, not mine.

ANL

• kwr
    kwr

The JW's are a Christian group whether they agree with your views or not.

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

kwr,

If a group is not characterized by what Christians were and are doctrinally not allowed to do what Christians did, then they are not Christians, regardless of whether they self-identify as Christians.

I am not a dog. Even if I call myself a dog you can plainly tell that I am not a dog. How? By comparing me and my behaviors to known dogs and discerning the many points of contrast.

Apply the same comparitive logic to JWs and you will quickly prove to yourself that they are not Christians. What positive measure do you use to assert that they are a Christian group?

ANL

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are fundmental differences between the early Christian Church and the JWs who are not truly a christian religion because to them Christ is not the central person in their religion (rather jehovah is) and they do not call themselves something like the church of Christ but the organisation of jehovah. That's a watered down christian religion with a strong judaic flavour. Most JWs are not even part of the new covenant.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Welcome AnewLief and great points, thanks for the info, very useful and helpful.

abr

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

ANewLeif - there is one teeny logic argument that blows this away. Christians could receive revelation on what to do and that revelation could alter the previous 'laws' - the most obvious being the preaching to the world (and the one I'm MOST grateful for - no circumcision). Asking what the christians could do back in the days when they cobbled together the NT is not a great acid test for today I'm afraid since revelation and new light can overturn any behaviour.

Let's look at the foreskin problem again - let's pretend no-one included that particular solution and revelation in scripture. You'd be forced by your own logic to say you couldn't be a (male) christian without it.

Anyhow - I think we have to be careful about blattering another faith style in case we don't look so good in the reflected light. The early christians were as divided and theologically distant as we are today.

• ANewLeif
    ANewLeif

If they used the name Yahweh, as in Yahweh's Witnesses, they would be properly called Yahwists.

They do not come in the name of Christ Jesus, they are not persecuted in the name of Jesus, they do not endure in the name of Jesus, they do not call on the name of Jesus to be saved, they do not request that Lord Jesus receive their spirit, they do all these in the name of Jehovah. They are not Christians. They are Jehovists.

kwr, can you really demonstrate an error in what I posted about them, or can you only keep asserting the same unfounded proclamation that JWs are Christians? The latter seems to be the case. In that event, you aren't discussing the Scripturally supported points I raised you are just preaching your own unsupported contrary opinion.

ANL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit