Remember the slide presentations

by Omegaman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Omegaman
    Omegaman

How many of you remember how special the meetings were when we found out they were going to show slides instead of a public talk

when I was a kid I remember how excited I was..........I still remember some of the slides

an old one from the 70's where a blind girl keeps asking her dad when she will be able to see this and that and the father would say " in the new system my dear"

also I remember a scene of a steep bank perhaps 40' feet high and a deep river below somewhere in Africa and we were told how our brothers were blind folded and thrown in to the river. I still remember that to this day.........."part of the whole persecution themes"

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

... I remember these... they were nice... but - it was also when they would turn down the lights - making it easier to snooze. zzzzzzzzzz

If I recall correctly - these were usually given by Circuit Overseers - or some 'special' visiting speaker - not the locals.

Regards,

Jim TX

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, I remember.

I was very young at the time but always liked the slide presentations since some of us kids could "help" after the meeting by pulling all the paper that had been taped over the windows .

I guess it's those simple things in life we remember.

Rub a Dub

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I remember when I was either 4 or 5 the first slide presentation that I can remember occuring. Right near my old congregation they had this little water slide park open up (just three slides) and I was so excited to get to the hall thinking they were going to have waterslides there for everyone to go on. I was so disappointed when we got there and it was a bunch of stupid pictures.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I remember that they never, ever, came close to living up to the hype. Yawnfests.

BA

• seek2find
    seek2find

Anyone remember the old film called "Heritage"? in the 1960's seek2find

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Yes, I recall them. My had two that he inherited from Dubs that had passed away. One was the journeys of Paul. The Dub that put this one together was a professional illustrator, and the drawings were fantastic. The other was on how the destruction of the city of Tyre was foretold and fulfilled. Rather interesting stuff.

Those were the days, when the Elders could be creative. Now all there is the continual pablum of the 80 or so public talks.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Slides?! I loved those! My mom would always arrive late, so we could not see to get a chair. It was bad to arrive late for those. I loved the dark and the pictures but really didn't care about what was said. Later, when I was an adult, I cared a lot about both.

• juni
    juni

Yes I remember those times. Something different.............. but often times they were pretty dull. And as Jim said - ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Kids were always in eager anticipation, but then it was a big let down. To be honest there were a couple that were good. That had to back in the 1970's very early ' 80s.

Juni

In the 70s, we were called to attend a special meeting with a slide show. The meeting was about a "dangerous" new phenomenon known as "punk rock." The slides presented at the meeting included pictures of the Sex Pistols, and the speaker warned that rock music was bad enough with its references to drugs and promiscuity, but that this music was much worse, as it stood for hatred and violence. He went on to claim that the Sex Pistols were known for vomiting and urinating upon their audience.

Who were they kidding? The hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on promotion by the Sex Pistols' record company couldn't come close to being as effective at producing sales as that special JW meeting was. I couldn't wait to buy the Sex Pistols' album; I bought it the next day after the meeting. Today, I look back favorably upon my youthful interest in punk rock as I believe that it contributed to my resolve to terminate my involvement with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

God save the queen!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit