Memorial 'Holiday"?

by onlycurious 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

If the dub's don't believe in celebrating holidays, what makes the memorial different?

• BR25
    BR25

The memorial, the passing of the bread and wine is mentioned in the bible that is why it is acknowledged. It is not something that started with pagean customs, symbols or whatever, but it has scriptual backing that is what makes it different.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Good point, Br25.

Also, the Memorial is downright dull. One can hardly call it a "celebration" (without snickering) for there isn't any happy dancing or joyful singing (other than the sleep-inducing tunes of 2 "Kingdom Melodies"). And there aren't any edible food or drink (unless you're "anointed" in which case you get ONE sip of wine and ONE bite of bread that tastes like cardboard. Oh hoorah!).

The Memorial is also NOT a "holiday". In fact, come to think of it, you might call a Friday DC a JW holiday cos you're expected to take the day off your secular job to attend it. There is no such requirement/expectation by the superfine FDS/GB that you take the day off for the Memorial to "reflect" on spiritual things.

INQ

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

One of the aspects of the Memorial that always reminded me of the Easter celebration was how the sisters in the congregations always got into their best finery, even buying new clothes, for the occasion. It was always like "an Easter parade" of fashion!

• BR25
    BR25

Some of your comebacks are so stupid. Ok since jws do everything so wrong about everything. I will make a suggestion to the congregation. Will have all the elders dress up as easter bunnies and instead of passing the bread and the wine we will pass easter eggs, since that is what jesus really wants. Then we will all stand up and say PRAISE THE LORD, PRAISE THE LORD!!!! and then we will all faint like a shockwave just went through us. That sounds so much more appropiate. yeh good points guys.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    Will have all the elders dress up as easter bunnies

Now, I'd go to the memorial for that!!

• olvidado
    olvidado

Well, I remember that after the Memorial some of us usually go to have dinner to a restaurant or something like that. The day was supposed to be special, but it was all so "boring" that you tried to make something different of the rest of the days. And yes, I think if the elders were dressed up as easter bunnies, I would be back at the memorial to see that.

• BR25
    BR25

my point exactly.and people say jws are stupid

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    The memorial, the passing of the bread and wine is mentioned in the bible that is why it is acknowledged. It is not something that started with pagean customs, symbols or whatever, but it has scriptual backing that is what makes it different.

Where does the jw memorial, with only the so-called anointed having the right to partake, have scriptural backing? Please don't point to the scripture about the little flock and other sheep either, only the jws interpret that to mean there will be two classes of christians.

Jesue told his followers., meaning all christians, to partake of the bread and wine in memory of him. He didn't limit the number of people who would be allowed to do that. The jw memorial is an insult to jesus sacrifice, not a "memorial" of it.

I am not a christian by the way.

Some of your comebacks are so stupid.

In what way do you think some peoples expressed opinions are stupid? Please enlighten us. BR25.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    my point exactly.and people say jws are stupid

was that a jab at all of us exjw's here or to one person in particular?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit