DF for celebrating Birthdays??

by lrkr 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Welcome to the board.

I have never heard of a disfellowshipping for celebrating a birthday. There are a lot of "work arounds" that the friends use. When I grew up my mother used to bake a "snowman" cake on our birthday and let us pick out what was on the dinner menu.

I think a lot of people employ various techniques to give their children the needed recognition on their birthdays without upsetting the organizational order.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Thank you all for the warm welcome! We tried the "low profile" approach for the last few years. This year we wanted a real Birthday party for our 8 year old. We were tired of explaining it away as a "special day." So we went for it. Full on party at the YMCA (I know- we're really asking for it!! Talk about putting the P in Pagan).

So now I meet with the "goon squad" tomorrow night. (Hard for an 8 year old to keep a secret!!) Just trying to figure out next moves. To me Christmas is an obvious one (they can get you for celebrating a false religious holiday)- but Birthdays have no religious connection.

Thanks for the Colossians quote- seems like Job's children also celebrated birthdays. Maybe thats why they got whacked by the windstorm.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Irkr, if you don't want to be disfellowshipped then be careful how you tread through this. If an elder approaches you over this (odds on it will be two elders), it doesn't matter what obvious proof you provide from the bible, they will ask you if you believe that the 'faithful and discreet slave' are directing Gods organization on Earth. If you say no, then your out. If you say yes, then, as your actions are against their teachings, you now on parole.

If you don't want to be removed, (perhaps for family reasons), then I would advise using 'emotional stress and anxiety, with Doctor visits', as an answer to every question they ask you.

Of course, if it doesn't matter to you whether you stay or go, then I would totally recommend an Elder meeting, and dress as Crusty the Clown. Then maybe it would have all been worth it just for your exit!

steve

• Manjana
    Manjana

Hi and welcome

It's very hypocratics of them to df because of birthday. They are celebrating it together with WHO, i think it's the 7 of april.

So the pagan activities are excisting among them self's.

They were there in 2000, but I belive they still are celebrating every year. But only my belive. I dos'nt have profs.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hi lrkr.

Depending on what outcome you want to achieve you will need to choose your words wisely.

From your post I'm assuming you must attend meetings regularly enough for your 8 year old to communicate with his/her friends at the hall? Or perhaps a witness relative.

If it's a foregone conclusion that you celebrated and you can't/won't lie your way out of that then your best bet is to feign ignorance and repentance.

It doesn't happen often but, yes, they can disfellowship you for celebrating a birthday - it's a false religious practice - to them.

Don't argue scriptures with them. They won't believe you, listen to you or learn from your wisdom. That is unless your face is the shape of a WT, then they'll listen to whatever craziness you speak.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Birthdays are not a disfellowshipping offence. However most elders are unaware of this and may d/f you for it. It is not listed in the elders book as such. There is an article, but I can not find it, that shows that birthdays are a conscience matter, though birthdays are generally worded that a mature Christian would not participate.

w199810/15p.31QuestionsFromReaders "Consequently, while it is entirely a private matter if Christians choose to take note of their wedding anniversary, there are good reasons why mature Christians abstain from celebrating birthdays."

Another interesting article is on Pinata's, showing such things can be a conscience matter.

g03 9/22 pp. 23-24 The Piñata?An Ancient Tradition *** The Piñata Today "Later, the piñata became part of the festivities of the posadas during the Christmas season and continues as such to this day. (A star-shaped piñata is used to represent the star that guided the astrologers to Bethlehem.) Breaking the piñata is also considered indispensable at birthday parties. Indeed, piñatas have become so traditionally Mexican that Mexico even exports them to other countries. We found that for many people in Mexico, the piñata has lost its religious significance and is considered by most to be just harmless fun. In fact, piñatas are used in Mexico on many festive occasions, not just for the posadas or for birthdays. And piñatas can be purchased in many forms other than the traditional star shape. They are sometimes made to resemble animals, flowers, clowns. When considering whether to include a piñata at a social gathering, Christians should be sensitive to the consciences of others. (1 Corinthians 10:31-33) A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."?1 Corinthians 10:24."

I would recommend that if you do not want to be d/f say you thought is was a conscience matter and play innocent. The elders disfellowship on your attitude, and can d/f you for anything, or let you off anything, depending on how much you are prepared to grovel.

• jeanV
    jeanV

I do not think you would get disfellowshipped for celebrating it once. you could if your start claiming that your will always celebrate it as the Bible does not clearly condemn it and you start going around advertising it and saying that it is a conscience matter, etc... as jwfacts said is very much a matter of your attitude.

I agree when he says to play innocent (but here it depends for how long you have been studying, if you are a long time jw it would be rather difficult to support this argument ;) )

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Welcome Lrkr, Excellent point Claw, very good application of the scripture and never used that one that way, very good

No. Welcome to the board lrkr. Congrats on finding the courage. I was there myself just a short while ago.

Success,

Nvr

You are funny and I enjoy your posts, you just joined and are on a rampage to Jedi Membership in a what a month, good to have you aboard. Best wishes my friend.

abr

• carla
    carla

Is it in C of C book (or some other ex book?) that a jw man sent his non jw adult son a b-day card and the wife told on him and he got df'd for it.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

LrKr I have a great idea, before they rake you over the coals, tell them you want to report a case of fornication and there are several know of it in and out of the congregation, which would bring great reproach to Jehovah and the congregation and community. There interest is peaked and now go in for the kill.....

Then proceed to tell them that the WTS never disfellowshipped in this case and they knew about it. Then heres the chance to tell them of the fornication committed by the WTBS with the UN the devils visible organization here on earth and no one was disfellowshipped for that and having a birthday for my daughter is nothing in comparison to what they have done. Or how many deaths they are responsible for over pedophilia, blood transfusions and tearing families apart with disfellowshipping. The bible says not to toucth the unclean thing and you have the audacity to tell me I committed an evil thing.

Jack be nibble jack be quick, your out of the organization pretty damn quick.

Orangefatcat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit