Anybody here ever FASTED before?

by avidbiblereader 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I always eat very fast, and people often tell me to slow down.

W

• golf2
    golf2

I fasted seven days once for health reasons. After the third day, it' s no problem, what a great feeling when you complete your desired goal.

Golf

• JH
    JH

I fast each time I drive to Wisconsin. I don't eat for a whole day. Like that I don,t have to stop at restaurants, nor do I have to pee or #2 as much along the way....

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I tried it a time or two long ago.

I have a friend that is into it.

I bought him "Fasting for Dummies".

I guess he thinks he's an expert now.

BA- I wonder how one goes about measuring how many "toxins" they are eliminating from fasting.

PS- Good luck.

• tweety
    tweety

Abr, I have fasted and feel very good afterwards. The first time that I fasted, I researched all kinds of information before starting the fast. (Just to make sure that I was doing it correctly.) I stayed on it for 6 days. Right after that I started the Weight Watchers program and lost 32 pds, along with exercising.

Since then, I have fasted but only for about 3 or 4 days, once a year.

Tweety

• Nowman
    Nowman

I fasted from the time I was 15 till I got pregnant with my daughter (23) in 1996. I was too worried about being a size 0.

Nikki

• Terry
    Terry

Obsessions are fascinating as are weird ideas passed off as "really good for you".

Certain personality disorders can manifest themselves in odd behaviors. However, if you plug the right personality disorder into the right occupation you get extraordinary results.

Isaac Asimov, for example, wrote close to 400 books! He had Asperger's Syndrome and only wanted to write constantly. The fact that he wrote so much was quite a boon to his readers inasmuch as his intellect and explicative powers were extraordinary.

I notice working in a bookstore as I do that almost all the employees are truly "afflicted" (if that is the right word choice) with obsessive fixations and bizarre habits. The store manager collects photos of gruesome deaths and surgical practices. The asst. Mgr. knows everything there is to know about every aspect of filmmaking. Further, he collects thousands and thousands of books and soundtracks that completely fill his household to the point of choking out all the space!

Back to the topic of FASTING.....

I think marginal personality quirks end up being attracted to non-mainstream beliefs such as odd religions and behaviors. Among these behaviors are those involving diet.

The idea that their coo-coo fixations have to represent some GREATER GOOD is just to remove the embarassment attached.

It is my personal theory that the Law of Moses came from an obsessive compulsive mind. I also believe that it was truly compulsive men in history who had hallucinations that thought they heard God speaking to them (Saul/Paul) or witnessed miracles.

It is the loonies in life who are often the most interesting.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And would your book reading on the subject qualify you to make such a clinical assessment?

• Terry
    Terry
    And would your book reading on the subject qualify you to make such a clinical assessment?

Not a clinical (as in I'm a doctor and you'd better listen) assessment--but; a life experience assessment.

For example. My grandfather was a food faddist. He took over ninety vitamins, minerals, proteins and food supplements per day. He read voraciously about how "doctors are in the illness; not the health business" and how only NATURAL vitamins were good (not synthetics like One A Day).

He read Rodale's books and PREVENTION publication. My grandad bought boxes and boxes of vitamins and handed them out to employees where he worked as well as supplying me and my kids with all manner of supplements such as Bee Pollen Extract, Rose Hips and Blackstrap Molasses.

Why? Well, my grandad was a dandy when he was young. He was a pretty good looking guy. He HATED the idea of aging so much he decided he DIDN'T HAVE TO. He used creams and oils on his skin constantly. He gave himself a pedicure and manicure nightly. He used bleaching cream on his "age" spots. In fact, enough bleaching cream to cause white spots instead!!

I was around this behavior and thought it really over the top as a young man--but--I didn't have the resources to doubt it based on any science. It was only later in life when I could research the particulars.

Now I feel like there are niche beliefs that cater to personality disorders and people who have them NEED to believe (religiously) they are not only true but the answer to CONSPIRACIES against them

You have the UFO nuts, the health-food nuts, the JFK assaination nuts, the Elvis sighting nuts, the Diet nuts, and a garden variety of Save-the-environmen nuts who only plug in to a bizarre world of true believers.

The outrageous health claims made by diet nuts cannot pass muster scientifically. This does not stop them from citing an endless litany of anecdotal evidence by testimonial of other true believers.

Vitamin supplements are not regulated as to content and purity. No connection can be made for BETTER health beyond a good diet.

In my grandfather's case he developed stomach cancer. He was popping about 50 Vitamin C's a day and that was pretty hard on his stomach I'm sure.

I don't know if he would have developed cancer anyway, but; cancer seems to be what kills off my family's members as they age.

I can't blame anybody for not wanting to get old and die. But, really now---do we have to make a fetish out of behaviors such as fasting, vitamins and praying for heaven?

To each his own, certainly. I just find the marginal personality attracted to FASTING, vegetarianism and Doctor conspiracy theories to be off-putting and sad.

Does everything have to be so excessive and covert?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I fasted for four days before my first suspension . I didn't really feel any physical benefits from the fasting other than re centering my body and putting a minor task before it to accomplish before it took on a greater one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit