What was your first impression upon meeting 'worldly' people during exit?

by mavie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2
    I can imagine how difficult it is for one born a dub to adjust to the non JW society

I was born into a JW family but I went to school until I was 16 and have worked since then. I love having conversations with people whereever I go, so have always known that people "in the world" could be caring and friendly - and some not so nice, the same as in the congregation.

The problem with JWs is, you're not allowed to make a mistake. People "in the world" are far less judgmental. You don't have to worry about whether you are saying or doing the right thing all the time.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I guess my first real experiences with worldly people as a free person would be hanging out with people from work after our shift.

It was always spontaneous, it didn't have to be planned a week in advance, like it does for JWs. It was smooth and simple and fun.

Everyone was really genuine, just human beings. I think the lack of hypocrisy makes them come off a bit better than most JWs, actually.

• Quentin
    Quentin

May seem strange to some but that's a hard question for me to answer. I wasen't born into it, my parents joined when I was three. Thing is, I didn't live a sheltered jw life. Only thing my dad demanded was, we go every time the doors opended at kh. Very seldom missed meetings, or fs. Something that stayed with me all my jw life.

Simply put the only thing I was never allowded to do was be involved in school activities outside of regular school hours. Otherwise I had "worldy" friends. When I did leave there was no transition period. I just stopped being a jw.

Whats already been said about worldy people perty much covers it. Their no more wicked, or evil than any jw on their best day. Worldy, what a strange buzz word. Hehe, since we live in the world were all worldy, jw or not. Somebody ought to do a study on jw language. It's freaky.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I realised that many of them were just normal people.

I found it strange that I felt more at ease in their company then being at the KH.

• Gill
    Gill

I found they were just nice, normal, friendly people.

The first birthday party I went to was a workmates of my husbands. I was very worried expecting drunken, drug taking, sex mad fools. How wrong I was. Sure they smoked and drank, but the men looked after the women and the kids. The men did the majority of the clearing up, cooking at the barbie of course, going round picking up any mess, looked after the kids kindly. It was brilliant. There were nearly 200 people there and they were better behaved than Jehovah's Witnesses! Jehovah's Witnesses do NOT know how to behave properly! Believe me! I've seen it with my own eyes and it's NOT pretty.

• anewme
    anewme

I had such an attraction to these people!!!! For me it was like discovering lost family or something!
    It was like I was "coming out" with these people! I am Irish American and all my family were very colorful, laughing, joking, musical (ok drinking too) people. We love to laugh and enjoy good humor all the time.
    We'd rather laugh than eat! (We'd rather drink than eat too, but thats why there's so few of us left)

So when I was first introduced to these people at work I was shy and modest and blushing and did not respond to them at first. I kept quiet. But inside I wanted to burst with laughter and joy and RELIEF!!!
    My marriage had become such a show, a stage show for the congregation. Every interaction was practiced and rehearsed and reviewed later as to our performance. We watched our conduct and speech around everyone. When I got home my behavior was reviewed by my husband. He being an elder was sharply aware of the criticism from certain congregation members. We walked on tip toes around so many in our hall.

I too like so many of you felt more at ease around these non JW people. I was amazed at their sense of ethics and sensitivity and their freedom of expression. I saw how they corrected themselves and their own thinking. I began to really like these people and look forward to going to work to be with them. I realized our social interactions at the hall were stiff and formal compared. I began to feel ill at ease among the witnesses and wanted less and less to be around them and desire my new association.

I longed to be like the worldly people FREE AND HAPPY AND RELAXED!

Anewme

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Again fed another line and took it hook line and sinker when in. When I got out, I came from seeing some real hatred as descibed in my bio but people who were "WORLDLY" treated me better than my so called brothers. Poeple are people and you can not generalize people into one category just because a magazine says so.

Total misrepresentation again,

abr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I run into the occasional a$$hole(sorry but that word is just so perfect for some people) but am pleasantly surprised everyday by the nobility and goodness of people.

Nvr

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Mavie,

One of the things that struck me, was how obscure, and insignficant the teachings of dubs are. It's incredible when you think that you've been instrumental in putting them, (worldy people) 'on notice." for this impending worlds destruction. They have no clue.

Dismembered

• Highlander
    Highlander

I run into the occasional a$$hole(sorry but that word is just so perfect for some people) but am pleasantly surprised everyday by the nobility and goodness of people.

Nvr

I agree. This week I met with more than 40 clients. Of which, only one was an A$$hole, so much of an a'hole that I cancelled the appt halfway through. However, everyone else was very pleasant and enjoyable to be around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit