What was your first impression upon meeting 'worldly' people during exit?

by mavie 29 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

So, you are starting to leave the cult. You begin to meet new people and instead of viewing them all as 'bad association', you begin to view them as fellow humans.

What was your first impression of 'worldly people'?

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

My very first impression was...Wow they don't hate JW's like I was told, the next was geeeeeeeeeee they are nicer to me then many JW's. Nothing like I was lead to believe.

Leslie

• I Know what I like, and I like what I know
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hold on a second... I thought you all were supposed to be psychotic horn-balls who were having orgies every weekend and freebasing smack every night!

Turns out most non-JWs are far more honest and ethical than most JWs I knew.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Most are nice... And no one takes offense.

• bernadette
    bernadette

My first proper interaction with worldly people was after an end of term party just before christmas. At first I was reluctant to go as I though I'm just not going to fit in. Glad I went - the thing that stood out to to me was their naturalness. The evening went too quickly and I actually ended up enjoying myself.

bernadette

• Arthur
    Arthur

I met several people who were extremely selfless, loving and compassionate. I got to know many people who (despite not going to any church) have a deep concern for God, and living an honest moral life.

Many of these "worldly" people helped me and comforted me through my emotional trials and personal crisises in ways that JWs never were able to do.

I have found that those who are kind, compassionate, loving, and basically honest people outnumber those who aren't. I think that it is the sadistic, violent, dishonest, and unloving people who gain the most visibility and grab the most attention in any society. This is what inaccurately colors the average JW mind regarding "worldly" people.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

At 18 I was still pioneering. I started working a construction job. People would smoke and curse, but they were just normal people. They were not these evil Worldings as I had thougt. Just normal people trying to make a living.

I was surprised. The veil was off. I had never had a relationship with worldly people before other than FS.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I was pleasantly surprised to see how decent so-called worldly people were. Even though I realize that people in general can be very flawed, it was nothing like the sucker-punch you got from dealing with "God's loving true christians.." who felt they could do just about anything and expect to be forgiven for it with their screwed up logic.

It least with "worldly" people, if you are liked it is for who you are and not conditioned on performance like a trained seal. You are not deceived by a so-called brotherhood anymore who expected you to let your defenses down so you could be exploited left and right.

When you are in a group you are not toxically shamed by some "wrong" or "inappropriate" remark you may make where some over-righteous person with issues tries to make you feel as if YOU have a problem.

In general, it is relief.

LHG

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I met several people who were extremely selfless, loving and compassionate. I got to know many people who (despite not going to any church) have a deep concern for God, and living an honest moral life.

Many of these "worldly" people helped me and comforted me through my emotional trials and personal crisises in ways that JWs never were able to do.

This is the incredible thing. They do not care about your FS time or meeting attendance. Many are good friends. Witnesses are the best (conditional ) friends in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit