Urban Legends in the JWs

by Country Girl 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

What was your favorite urban legend whilst you were in the JWs that you now know to be just a buncha hullaballoo? My favorite one was when a child brought a Smurf doll to the Kingdom Hall and that thing just got up and went screaming out of the Kingdom Hall on its' own two feet. I cracked up on that one.

CG

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

How bout the one where the guy killed the avon lady...while sparing the JW that was just at his door earlier because he saw a BIG MAN with her. (How would anyone ever know....and while JW's do go into the weird neighborhoods....Avon ladies tend to avoid them....like any smart person would)

• BFD
    BFD

I don't really remember any but dear god did people actually believe that one about the smurf doll? What a bunch of crackpots!

BFD

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

I like the one about the couple that went on a cruise and met "a guy form the UN". They start witnessing to him and tell him how the governments are going to turn against religion and try to wipe them all out. Then the guy from the UN is like, woah, how did you find out about our secret plan. We have been planning to wipe out all religion really soon!

• badboy
    badboy

Amber Rose,Have i heard that one before. or is it new?

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Badboy, I probably first heard that one about 5 years ago. It's not as popular as some of the other ones, perhaps because it is so vague but that's what makes it a good story.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

This actually happened in my old congregation. An elder worked nights. His wife said that some nights she'd wake up and not be able to move or talk. She said "a demon was on top of her". They burned their bed, and then moved. After going to nursing school, this sounds alot like "sleep paralysis" to me. I have experienced it, too. But I don't think any "demon" was on top of me.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Amber, I've heard that one as well, but in the late 80's.

UN must have had to change their plans.

• EnlightenedMind
    EnlightenedMind

Oh wow! I guess I was too young to hear the origins of the smurf story, but I do remember that smurfs were considered "demonized" and that we were not to watch the television program under any circumstances. So that's the story, huh? ... Well, it all makes sense now!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I must be too old for the smurf stories. . .I remember that every fad in the world, every MLM scheme-it all found a home in the cong. in some form. Every bit of nuttiness.

Remember the thing where they looked at your retinas or something? fingernail beds, I don't know. it was the same kind of nutty stuff you find in any group. But the JWs did bring it to a new level at times, huh? Ghosts or evil spirits were troubling EVERYONE I knew. Cancer treatment always involved Greece or Mexico. Maybe its in the oregano? I don't know!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit