Death, is death our only destiny?

by Blueblades 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Soon after we arrive on this earth, we become aware of the most fundamental fact of our existence, that we won't be here very long. An average life span lasts less than 30,000 days. We sleep a third of that time, so the days we experience number less than 20,000. We may try, but we can't ever completely deny our mortality. Reminders keep cropping up, classmates fail to return after a summer break; we drive to work on a beautiful spring day, and a line of cars with lights on and a hearse in front suddenly appears; each day's paper carries numerous obituaries.

The unbelievable brevity of our lives conflicts with our deep seated yearning for permanence and with our lifelong fear of being separated from those we love, a fear that haunts us from infancy to old age.

To fully live, one must resolve the problem of death. When left unresolved ones spends excessive energy denying it or becoming obsessed with it. Socrates said, "The true philosopher is always pursuing death and dying. Freud ask's, "How do we resolve and come to terms with the painful riddle of death"? Most of the great writers, dealth extensively with this theme.

Children do not conceptualize or fear death as do adults. For many death is our only destiny. for many others they have a religious worldview, they believe death is not our only destiny. This belief helps one to deal with their fear of death and their wish for permanence.

As for me, I'm not there yet. I'm still searching and waiting for answers that I realize I will probably never get on this side of the grave. For me, the problem of death is unresolved and I've got to stop spending excessive energy denying it or being obsessed with with it. It's time for me to still this mind of mine and let it go. How about you?

Blueblades

• needproof
    needproof

Nice post.

Who was it that said there are only 2 things certain in this life, Death and taxes?

In the huge scheme of things no sooner are we here we depart. Life has a way of reminding us how fickle it is, death is always around the corner in one way or another.

I believe that when it is your time, it is your time. You cannot escape your destiny. I also believe in the concept of the sea of souls, whatever dies from this earth goes back to that sea to be reincarnated and come back as a different body, to live out it's karma. This is why I live in hope when things die, because I know that they are infinite consciousness.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I'm 21. I figure I'll worry more about it as I get older.

This is selfish, but I hope we continue "living" in some way after death.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    This is selfish, but I hope we continue "living" in some way after death.

You will.

Research Second Death on the net thang.

It'll blow your sox off.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Yes death is our only destiny.

Unless we leave something behind in the world that was not there before we came along.

You can make that "thing" whatever you choose it to be.

-K

• TD
    TD

I've read that in subjective time, it's already half over by the time you're 25. (i.e. Time seems to progress faster and faster as you get older)

"All that your hand finds to do, do with you're very power...." --Who say's there's no good advice in the Bible?

• kid-A
    kid-A

The religious can deny the biological reality of death until they are blue in the face. It does not matter. It is nothing more than fear of human mortality.

At the end of the day, we are all going to the same place: 6 feet under.

We really have two choices. We can obsess over the inevitable and waste our time and energy trying to dream up fictional fantasy worlds that await us after this life.....

or we can live with courage, dignity and bravery, accepting that THIS is what we get and that each second should be utilized to its maximum potential, trying to leave a

legacy behind us.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I tend to obsess about it. As Woody Allen said, "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying." Alas, I'm afraid I have to agree with Kid-A. "Gather your rosebuds while ye may."

FBF

• Warlock
    Warlock
    We can obsess over the inevitable and waste our time and energy trying to dream up fictional fantasy worlds that await us after this life.....

How do you know this for sure, considering you are still alive? How do YOU know there is no life after death?

Warlock

• Gerard
    Gerard

I am convinced that just experiencing life IS our destiny.

Frodo : I wish none of this had happened.

Gandalf : So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit