Watchtower--NGO With WANGO!

by Dogpatch 64 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

NGO means non-governmental organization. A Non Profit or Not For Profit status is assumed.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. properly belongs on any complete listing of active NGOs because they certainly are an active NGO. They have been since 1879 and will continue to be.

NGO is not a membership type. It does not imply affiliation with any other organization; it only describes the nature of an organization.

What seems to be confusing some people is that saying, "The WTS is still an NGO!" is akin to someone announcing about me, "AuldSoul is still a white guy of mostly Irish descent!" My response to either exclamation will be, "Yes? So what? That has always been the case."

Now the statement, "The NGO, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc., was joined as an Associate member to the UN Department of Public Information for ten years!" is much more appropriate because there is some misconduct involved (according to their published standards). That would be like saying, "A white guy of Irish descent, AuldSoul, stole a wristwatch!"

In this case, saying that the WTS is an NGO is just stating a basic fact of the nature of the organization itself. Saying it was found in a list of NGOs only means that someone else recognized and noted the organization's nature, no matter whose list it was found in. If the NGO is a member of some other group, such as WANGO, then that becomes a different matter entirely. But there is no evidence on this thread that the WTS is a member of WANGO.

Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." (The Princess Bride)

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Zico
    Zico
    Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." (The Princess Bride)

What was the word?

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

The word (fropm Princess Bride) is 'inconceviable'.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Zico,

In this case, the "word" is "NGO". Being an NGO does not violate the published standards of Jehovah's Witnesses. Neither does being included in any number of NGO listings.

Joining secular (i.e. non-religious) organizations with objectives contrary to the Governing Body's will (i.e. Jehovah's will) or choosing to join those disapproved by the Governing Body (i.e. God) does violate their published standards.

It was the Associate membership status with the UN/DPI that made their involvement hypocritical, not the fact that the WTS is an NGO.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• rebel8
    rebel8

I believe the wts purposely capitalizes upon the murkiness of what being an NGO means. I believe some have received correspondence from them claiming they are only the type of NGO that Auld Soul described, and there is no distinction btwn being an NGO and registering for NGO membership with the UN DPI. The confusion is something the wts perpetrates intentionally, and personally I wouldn't be surprised if people who keep posting that the 2 definitions are the same thing are Bethelites.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

rebel8,

They didn't register with the UN/DPI. They filled out an NGO application to become an Associate to the UN/DPI; a membership application, just like becoming a member at Sam's Wholesale Club. They didn't become an NGO with the UN. They became an Associate member of the United Nations Department of Public Information.

The fact that they are and always have been an NGO is what qualified them to apply for that membership; that class of membership is only available to organizations that are NGOs. This is similar to the way owning a business qualifies you for Business Membership at Sam's Wholesale Club; only business owners qualify for that class of membership. Only NGOs can become Associated to the UN/DPI.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• undercover
    undercover
    They didn't become an NGO with the UN. They became an Associate member of the United Nations Department of Public Information.

Only NGOs can become Associated to the UN/DPI.

They also didn't become part of, or join, the UN.

I know it's a picky thing, but too many people say the the WTS became a member of the United Nations. No...only national governments can become a member of the UN, just as only NGOs can become an associate member of the UN/DPI

If we are going to try to reason with family/friends that the WTS is hypocritical by using its involvement with the UN/DPI, we need to get our facts straight and we need to use the correct language in describing the affliation.

• JimWood
    JimWood

Just recieved this from WANGO

"Nathalie Franquelin" <[email protected]>

To:

"'James Wood'" <woodjr@ .com>

Date:

3/22/2007 8:59:40 AM

Subject:

RE: Status of NGO

They are not members. They only subscribe to our newsletter.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 11:31 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Status of NGO

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to request the status that the Watchtower Bible and Tract

Society currently holds. That is to say are they current active members

or not members at all.

Thank you for your time,

Jim Wood

• acadian
    acadian

Good morning all, I personally think the real issue is being missed, they are a Corporation, incorpoated with the Government. (Man's not God's) What does it matter if they are associated with any other organization's? Their first offence was asking ceasar/government for priveleges rather than God. (exempt tax status and other benifits) They have been "in and of" the world from the git go. Think about it, they're incorporated status is with the State not Christ, they are the true Aposates/evil slave. Acadian

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    They also didn't become part of, or join, the UN.
    I know it's a picky thing, but too many people say the the WTS became a member of the United Nations. No...only national governments can become a member of the UN, just as only NGOs can become an associate member of the UN/DPI

Actually NGOs (that are not for profit corporations) can get consultative status with the UN's ECOSOC. But that is another story and the WTS never applied for that. Instead the WTS voluntarily applied and received associate status with DPI.

Both you and Auldsoul are very correct and I always harp on these points as well. The DPI literature considers this a partnership which is just as nasty as using the word "joining".

Hooberous had a great point using the WTS own words .... acquiescing to the principals of the UN.

Examples in the leadership's prescribed doctrine on not associating and/or not supporting the United Nations are as follows:

- an article titled "Their Refuge-A Lie!" in the Watchtower magazine of June 1, 1991 (pages 15-20),

- an article titled "Can an Image Bring Peace and Security" in the Watchtower magazine of December 1, 1976 (page 711)

- an article titled "The Worship of the "Wild Beast" - Why True Christians Refuse" in the Watchtower magazine of October 15, 1976 (pages 632- 636),

All articles show that becoming involved, supporting or acquiescing to the principals of the scarlet coloured wild beast (ie. the UN) was and still is considered something for false religion.

A further detailed review of the 1991 Watchtower article shows Paragraph 10 asks how false religion was involved in the United Nations. The answer was found in paragraph 11 where no less than no less than twenty-four Catholic organizations are represented at the UN. The answer appeared weak compared to the 1976 Watchtower articles.

Paragraph 11 of the Watchtower 1991 article quoted from chapter 6, paragraph 1, page 45 of the book called "New Genesis, Shaping a Global Spirituality" (ISBN # 1-680465-04-3), Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Image Books, 1982, 1984 by Robert Muller. Robert Muller's article was titled "Prayer and Meditation at the United Nations".

Reading the Muller quote, one observes that the Watchtower 1991 article left out the second sentence of the Muller paragraph. The second sentence states "All major world religions are accredited to the United Nations as non-governmental organizations." This excluded sentence describing non-governmental organizations would actually make the quote in paragraph 11 and thus the answer to paragraph 10 significantly stronger. The sentence's exclusion in the 1991 article provides evidence the Watchtower was quietly seeking the exact same relationship that false religion had with the United Nations in the 1991-1992 timeline.

------------------------------------------

References for comments on the 1991 1976 WT articles

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/27169/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/55894/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit