JWs and the weird way they say Happy Birthday

by reneeisorym 40 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU....HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR RENEE....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU......................and many more.

My ex-jw mother-in-law does the same thing to my sons. She calls and says something like "somebody turned 25 today"....but never Happy Birthday!

• Threestars
    Threestars

A few months before he died my Dad called me on my birthday and said something about me turning 40 and then he said, "Happy Birthday, honey"-- after a lifetime of no parties, presents, anything! I was absolutely shocked but very very happy to hear him say those words.

I can't give my Mom a birthday present on her day but many years ago I started a "tradition" of giving her a gift on MY birthday. I tell her it is my thanks to her for giving me life. She is always so touched and she seems to really look forward to it. (She usually takes me out to dinner later that night and then she has to worry that one of the dubs in our town will see her out with me)

My parents never shunned me the way so many do--I was lucky in that regard. Once my Dad took me aside though and told me that I could come over to his house to eat anytime I wanted, but if Mom was sitting at the table could I please take my plate to the couch or something--so strange.

• POs Son
    POs Son

My mother calls every year to say "I remember what happened 35 years ago today. I just want you to know I remember..." Too bad she cannot just wish me a happy birthday like a free person would.

• DHL
    DHL

Renee,

a little late but better late than never: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I hope you enjoyed your day!

Debbie

• bubble
    bubble

Happy Birthday Renee.

My mum, dad and sister have always wished me and my children a happy birthday by text message. That was when I was a jw and also have continued to do so since I have been df'd. I also got a card and a gift from my parents when I turned 18.

They are all devout jws. Go figure!

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Happy Birthday, Renee! My mom has always done the same thing, called up to say, x years ago you were born! Seriously, how the heck is that any different??? So many of the dub things are just so stupid, just about controlling the drones. Its really sad.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RENEE!!!!!

My mother and father would always say thing like "so do you feel older today?", or like you so your 42 now, huh?

Crazy

nj

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym
    I can't give my Mom a birthday present on her day but many years ago I started a "tradition" of giving her a gift on MY birthday. I tell her it is my thanks to her for giving me life. She is always so touched and she seems to really look forward to it.

I LOVE this idea -- I think I'll do that next year. Too bad you didn't tell me that sooner.

• compound complex
    compound complex

BTTT, cuz there are so many birthdays lately! We, as JWs, used to have such a difficult time sayin' it -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

By the way, who actually cares about Pharaoh and Herod? Many a day goes by and I never think of them................

CoCo

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

My mom called me on the morning of my Birthday a few times in the past to ask if I felt any older- that was her way. One year a few weeks before my 16th Birthday my Dad said he was going to get me a car for my 16th- I knew something was up because he had that sneaky laugh look he would get in his eye. On my Birthday he was so happy and he told me to go look out in the garage. He had pulled their vehicles out and placed a convertible Hot Wheels toy car into the spot. It was pretty funny- I knew it wasn't going to be a real car, I'd gotten into waaaaay too much trouble that year for anything like that...lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit