JWs and the weird way they say Happy Birthday

by reneeisorym 40 Replies latest jw friends

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

HAPPY B-DAY!!

I've wondered the same thing myself about the way many JW's wish happy b-days.

I'm DA'ed myself and it seems like every couple years my mom will call me up on my b-day.

She says this everytime- "So,...how does it feel to be (insert age)?!"

It irritates me so much. It's like your acknowledging my b-day,...so what the heck is the difference between saying that and saying "happy b-day".

I think it's so irritating, because when she says, "So,...how does it feel to be (insert age)?!", to me, it just brings the mind control that she is under to the fore front of my mind.

• undercover
    undercover

My immediate family doesn't acknowledge birthdays. In fact, I happened to see my mom on my birthday last year and mentioned in passing that I was another year older. She got a puzzled look on her face and I had to say, "Today's my birthday..." and she finally got it, "Oh...it is isn't" and then went on to some other subject.

My wife's family does keep up with b-days. No gifts, flowers, parties or the like, but she gets a phone call every year from her mom. The words, Happy Birthday, are never spoken but the phone call is about the "anniversary" of my M-I-L giving birth to her and they talk about other birthdays coming or gone.

• jinjam
    jinjam

happy birthday!

• happehanna
    happehanna

Happy Birthday

Yes My mum and my late father always phoned or texted on my birhtday

and now my mum always buys my son a largish present just after his birthday

I think it is odd but sweet too in its way

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Reneeisorym,

HAPPY, er, uh ... 25! Oh, what the heck - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! This last December I said Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to a dear friend and just M.C. to her family while at a dinner party (I always used to take your Mom's approach). I allowed myself to be influenced by the joy of the moment - these people took me in and made me one of their own. No regrets - I may spout such greetings again - and again. Today's your turn!

Thanx again for your kind responses last week during my dilemma ........

CoCo

• free2think
    free2think

Happy Birthday Renee.

Just echoing what others have said really, suppose you can be grateful that she acknowledge you Bday.

So are you having party?

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Happy bday!

And yes, I know. My dad called to talk to my daughter the other day, she turned 19. She is out of town, but I told him that I would let her know he called to wish her a happy birthday! His comment? "well, umm, stutter, that isnt exactly what I said!" I just said, well, same thing, but I will tell her you called not to wish her a happy birthday, hows that.........he laughed.

• PEC
    PEC

Happy Birthday, Renee.

Philip

• Honesty
    Honesty

Happy Birthday Renee !!!!!!!!!!

Mine was Sunday and my JW son's was yesterday... Yes, I gave him a Birthday Present (unwrapped of course so that he would accept it with a 'clean' conscience.

My mom evn sent me a GASP!!! Birthday card... got it in the mail today. She may be beginning to see the about her little cult. It's about time after 48 years of brainwashing, eh.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

"Happy Anniversary of the Day of your Birth!"

Unfortunately, that's what my family has to say.

No point in celebrating LIFE in this system of things!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit