• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Mad,

I think nvrgnbk's post characterizes what a cult is most succinctly:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/131169/2332741/post.ashx#2332741

And as far as a simple dictionary(ies) definition(s) goes:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

or a one-man-band- Mad

So, anyone who puts faith in God and Christ, rather than an organized religion, or a man, or group of men, is a one man band, eh?

BA- Puts faith in God, not men.

PS- After praying in faith for God's Holy Spirit, try reading the Scriptures without referring to the WTBTS literature for it's "correct interpretation", you'll be surprised what you comprehend.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

...Let's open up the dictionary and find out what the word "cult" means...Very Good! Junior? Will you read it aloud for the class, please?

cult

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate

1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Seeing that the word really covers any religous group, organization, or church- you ALL (unless athiest, or a one-man-band) are probably part of a (GASP!) CULT!

Now if you want to make fun of all our blunders, I know you won't let ME slow you down! I do it myself! But at least - MAYBE- you'll remember the ambiguos meaning of the word!

The Mad JW

I love you Mad and I want to tell you something. I'm a nice guy who genuinely cares for others. This cult hurt me real bad, in ways I'm just beginning to understand. I'm glad I got out or I might not be alive to know you brother.

Nvr

• Mad
    Mad

BA- It is CHRIST that said "where one or two are gathered in my name"... Nothing WRONG with being a One-Man-Band...just won't accomplish as much.

Mad

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I think that in the interest of intellectual honesty, it is also important to note that cults take on lives of their own. In other words, to use the term cult to describe the dynamics of a group does not explain the original motive for the beginnings of the group. I believe that nearly all such high-control groups spring up with the most benign of intentions. Jehovah's Witnesses are no exception.

Nvr

• Mad
    Mad

BA wrote:"So, anyone who puts faith in God and Christ, rather than an organized religion, or a man, or group of men, is a one man band, eh?

Mad writes: Sometimes YES, BA- a 'One-Man-Band'. If they are by themself, they are. That'a not BAD- it's just that Christ WANTED believers to work together!

PS- After praying in faith for God's Holy Spirit, try reading the Scriptures without referring to the WTBTS literature for it's "correct interpretation", you'll be surprised what you comprehend.

Mad writes: I NEVER look to the WTBS for interpretation! ONLY scripture. I DO consider their thoughts, which, in MY opinion, are USUALLY right! At this board the picture given is that the WTBS is an evil group maliciously controlling a Robot Army of Magazine Peddlers. The REALITY is that it is a group with many problems- as EVERY GROUP/ORGANIZATION/CHURCH has, that really TRIES to LISTEN and OBEY Christ...and bring honor to the One the Churches hide- the God & Father of Jesus Christ!

The biggest problem is that (once again- as in EVERY religion) there are Pretenders messing things up- as Jesus pointed out- wheat overgrown with weeds! So every time I go to the Kingdom Hall, I listen to scripture, and lop off opinion and speculation of my WTBS, considering them- but not accepting as true- unless the scriptures show it such. The speculation floats in a holding tank, while I wait & see...

Agape,

Mad

• jgnat
    jgnat
    The REALITY is that it is a group with many problems- as EVERY GROUP/ORGANIZATION/CHURCH has, that really TRIES to LISTEN and OBEY Christ...and bring honor to the One the Churches hide- the God & Father of Jesus Christ!

Harrumph. There are loose association Christians and there are high-control Christian groups. Not all groups are the same and not all have the same problems. The WTBTS has BIG problems. They are on the high-control end of the scale, and they are IGNORING rather than DEALING with their systemic problems. High on the list are protecting pedophiles, the blood policy, and shunning. All three are very damaging to the organization and for whatever reason, the leadership has decided to bury their head in the sand.

You know what happens to a person who refuses to deal with his problems. Multiply that by six million.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

YES.

If JWs are asked this, they say that they don't fit the definition of a cult.....that they do not have "one man" as leader. When you really delve into the criteria of cults and the BEHAVIOR of the Watchtower....you see that they are, indeed...a cult. Nvgnbks excellent list of 100 reasons earlier showed just why we can state this.

Any group that says that IT ONLY has "the truth" and that GOD HANDPICKED THEM to speak for him....and that every other religion is false....and that leaving THEM IS JUST THE SAME AS LEAVING GOD....are very good indications that you are dealing with a cult.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    and lop off opinion and speculation of my WTBS, considering them- but not accepting as true

You sound just like my dad, Mad. No wonder I like you so much. I'm glad you've found a way to work it all out in your mind. I just couldn't do the mental gymnastics anymore.

Nvr

• tapout1
    tapout1

They are a f**ing cult. Just because they don't fit the definition of the "single leader" does not mean they're not. They're the exception not the rule in that regard. In every other aspect they are the rule. Just look at the thousands of people that lives' have been destroyed. They discourage college education, the blood policy, NO divorce unless there's adultery, no one is allowed to think for themselves, false prophecies, etc, etc, etc. Talk about big brother...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I wish to extend to you a very warm welcome tapout1.

I've read your posts and I like your style.

I only hope that you don't find JWD as addicting as I have.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit