Are JW's a Cult?

by PinTail 55 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• heathen
    heathen

I'd say the number one reason other cults think the WTBTS and it's adherents are a cult is because they don't adhere to the nicean and anastasian creeds that allegedly determined orthodoxy for cults . No trinity , immortal soul or hell fire and you're a cult . My personal experience shows that they want control over all behaviour of it's followers there's no room for dissent or individuality , group think is the only thing allowed . They even tell people where they are allowed for employment while being a member. I am also sure they used some forms of electronic deception and possibly use some sort of gas in there ventilation at the kingdom halls . I also believe they are into occultic practices such as the memorial supper for christ where people reject the emblems of christs suffering . There are obvious to some , pictures that include satanic images in their publications .

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Are JW's a Cult?

Now whatevah gave you that idea?

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

found-my-way

I think you may have confused some facts with regard to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society. The two dates that the Watchtower has set for Christ return were 1874 and 1914. The other dates mentioned involved predictions of "the end" or Armageddon.

Also, Russell borrowed heavily from the Second Adventists....not the 7th Day Adventists. The SDA church was an offshoot of William Miller's movement even as the Second Adventists were. But they clearly went in different directions. As far as I know, there never has been any connection with the SDA church and the Watchtower.

Technically, "Jehovah's Witnesses" are connected with Rutherford, not Russell. Russell's followers were "Bible Students." Rutherford came up with the name of "Jehovah's Witnesses."

"Disfellowshipping" has nothing to do with "dismemberment." Otherwise, many of us would be missing limbs....

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

PAHPA,

I think you may have confused some facts with regard to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society. The two dates that the Watchtower has set for Christ return were 1874 and 1914. The other dates mentioned involved predictions of "the end" or Armageddon

I did not write the blurb.

it was taken from the LINK TO THE SITE provided at the top of my post.

I am well aware of the dates and the facts.

I posted it, because it was FUNNY.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Does thinking, logic, reason undermine faith? Does questioning what you believe in undermine faith? Or does faith require you to never think about it? Are you prohibited from asking yourself if what you believe in is actually true? What is the relationship between faith and reason? Can faith and logic coexist? Can science and faith coexist? Or is it that in order to have faith that you can't question it? Do you have to just believe it? If you question it - is that a sin?

What is the relationship between faith and reality? Do you have faith because what you have faith in is actually real? Or does reality not play a role? What if you found out that your neighbor's religion was more real than yours? Would you convert, or stick with the religion you have?

If what you believe is real then there's nothing to fear about exploring reality the way it really is.

This is from the Church of Reality website.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    The question about if you are in a cult is not a black and white issue.

That's why I wouldn't bother with a serious debate about this question.
    I know they are a cult, someone else is sure they aren't. I would go
    right to this question- Do JW's fit the criteria for a mind-control cult (or group if you hate the word)?

Do they tell members how to (1) behave, (2) what information to read and to avoid, (3) how to think,
    and (4) how to feel about matters?

(1) While any group using the Bible as a standard will say that morals are important, how many groups
    tell you not to date until you are contemplating marriage or that seeking God's kingdom first in your life
    means getting at least 10 hours of field service in? Who condemns cigarette smokers and lottery ticket
    buyers? Who tells you it's wrong to give a gift to your grandchild on her birthday?

(2) Read the WT, don't read anything by former members- enough said.

(3) Shun independent thinking. Don't run ahead of the organization. Avoid worldly wisdom.

(4) You should hate former JW's, and while you can't put them to death, treat them as such.

That was enjoyable, I haven't proven that JW's are a cult for a few days. I call them the Chicken Little Cult.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

found my way

Thanks for the clarification. It was funny. I'm still rather new to this computer world and this site. So, I guess I'm really not "hip" to some of the subtleties of this "new world."

Speaking of my naivete, could anyone explain to me what the origins of the words "dubs" and "borg."

• heathen
    heathen

dub=j W it's the dubble U part , borg in referrence to the star trek show where the borg tried to assimilate everybody ..........

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

pahpa,

welcome to JWD

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    borg in referrence to the star trek show where the borg tried to assimilate everybody

Borg is appropriate for the above reference, but it also means: Brooklyn Organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit