Are JW's a Cult?

by PinTail 55 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Heathen, Found My way, On The Way Out

Thanks for the explanation. I can see that I'm one of the older participants on this site... I was never into Star Trek. And I'm not familiar with these words that substitute for others. Thanks for being patient with the lost generation between the "greatest" and the "baby boomers."

To throw in my opinion about JWs being a "cult.".... I don't believe it fits all definitions of a cult. Usually a cult will have a strong religious leader and will isolate itself literally from the public. However, it certainly does have a cult-like aspect to it. The Governing Body is viewed as a god. And the Watchtower Society has successfully alienated its members mentally from participating in the normal activities that others share. And it demands total loyalty from its members. It is a border-line cult-like sect.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Usually a cult will have a strong religious leader and will isolate itself literally from the public. However, it certainly does have a cult-like aspect to it. The Governing Body is viewed as a god. And the Watchtower Society has successfully alienated its members mentally from participating in the normal activities that others share. And it demands total loyalty from its members. It is a border-line cult-like sect.

a strong religious leader

A single leader can be replaced with a single authoritarian body of leaders that acts a single entity.

And the Watchtower Society has successfully alienated its members mentally from participating in the normal activities that others share.

Precisely.

And it demands total loyalty from its members

Exactly.

It is a border-line cult-like sect.

My dear friend Pahpa, it would appear to me that they crossed the border some time ago.

Respectfully,

Nvr

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

As the saying goes - "If the black Nike fits, wear it."

• deviled2
    deviled2

Even when I was "in" and we were studying the WT about why they are not a cult, I was thinking....I dunno - it walks like a cult and quacks like a cult. Even upon leaving a friend of mine that also left kept arguing the point that she felt it was not a cult....THEN with the turn of events that in 2008 the WT will have two versions, a homogonized version for the outside and a "study" version for the dubs, even she agreed that this further control of information screams one thing.... C U L T Dev

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome, Deviled2!

The two versions of the Watchtower is a very worrying turn of events, especially for those of us with many relatives still in the cult.

We may well be in for a shock come 2008 and the printing of these new mags. Let's hope it doesn't get too crazy in dub land.

• deviled2
    deviled2

Thanks for the welcome Gill Fortunately or unfortunately, as the Dubs feel the pressure of being in the corner they have painted themselves in they do get more and more bizarre - and hateful. Kinda like they describe the demons in the absence of Jehovah's presence...going mad Dev

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Welcome deviled2. Good couple of posts. Enjoy the JWD.

Nvr

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

The WT Soc is actually stronger and longer lasting *because* they have replaced the normal "single leader" part of the cult definition with a mostly anonymous "Governing Body" that acts as a single unit.

A single person (man, usually) is more likely to be brought down or uncovered as a fraud, especially if the cult is small and he's well known to most members. In addition, there *are* also "personality cults" within more established religions...churches where the congregation follows the preacher rather than the church.

Notice after the first couple of leaders who were well known, the WT Soc quit using a figurehead leader in the same way.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

The WT Soc is actually stronger and longer lasting *because* they have replaced the normal "single leader" part of the cult definition with a mostly anonymous "Governing Body" that acts as a single unit.

A single person (man, usually) is more likely to be brought down or uncovered as a fraud, especially if the cult is small and he's well known to most members. In addition, there *are* also "personality cults" within more established religions...churches where the congregation follows the preacher rather than the church.

Notice after the first couple of leaders who were well known, the WT Soc quit using a figurehead leader in the same way.

Fantastic observation asleif_dufansdottir.

Nvr

• Mad
    Mad

...Let's open up the dictionary and find out what the word "cult" means...Very Good! Junior? Will you read it aloud for the class, please?

cult

Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate

1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
    4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Seeing that the word really covers any religous group, organization, or church- you ALL (unless athiest, or a one-man-band) are probably part of a (GASP!) CULT!

Now if you want to make fun of all our blunders, I know you won't let ME slow you down! I do it myself! But at least - MAYBE- you'll remember the ambiguos meaning of the word!

The Mad JW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit