"Trinitarians" how can you "lie" to the truth? Is truth a person?

by booker-t 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

Trinitarians can be Catholic, Protestant, or Hindu. They believe in various tales

like, Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer and the Spirit of Christmas Cheer.

Some go naked and let their skin do. Other deny the need for the ransom and scales.

Yet Jehovah is God, the God of All Prayer. Sheep will feed well, while the goats get thin air.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

(Acts 5:3-4) . . .But Peter said: "An·a·ni´as, why has Satan emboldened you to play false to the holy spirit and to hold back secretly some of the price of the field? 4 As long as it remained with you did it not remain yours, and after it was sold did it not continue in your control? Why was it that you purposed such a deed as this in your heart? You have played false, not to men, but to God.. . .

to the Holy Spirit in no way makes the Holy Spirit a person any more that "lying to the truth" in James makes "truth" a person.

This is hardly an argument against the Trinity that needs an answer. It is no more than a justification for Watchtower beliefs. It may show that the HS is not necessarily a person, but in no way does it prove it is not a person. If the Scripture said "lieing to the Christ" could the elder use the same logic to say that the Christ is not a person?

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

The Hebrew Scriptures do NOT teach the Trinity, right?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the Holy Spirit (Ghost) ever revealing a personality like Jesus and Jehovah do in the Bible. The Holy Spirit seems to always be talked about as a thing, not a being.

• heathen
    heathen

I believe that if people can be filled with holy spirit then it's not a being , even tho trinitarians believe God is omnipresent so that would mean he's in my toaster oven even . I kinda think of it as the force like in the star wars movie , it kinda gives people super powers , powers of prophesy or speaking in toungues as is written about in acts of apostles. They also could heal the sick by praying over them . It also seemed to give people understanding of Gods will .

• Arthur
    Arthur

Not to get off topic, but it is kind of funny how many Witnesses have the erroneous view that all ex-JW Chrstians "go off the deep end" and become trinitarians.

I am a Christian who does not believe in the trinity. I believe that I have approached it with an open mind and simply have not been able to find compeling evidence in the Old or New Testament for it's scriptural validity. This is one of the very few points where I can say that I still agree with the WTS. However, this is a doctrine that I have absolutley no interest in arguing over.

I attend a group / meetup of Christian ex-JWs that has roughly 8 to 10 people in attendance. It's funny, but roughly half of the group are very firm trinitarians, and there about four of us who do not believe in the trinity. I have never seen an argument over this topic; because all of us have simply agreed to respect each other and not venture into debates about this doctrine. The topic has certainly come up; but we have agreed to show respect for each others views.

All of us: the pro and anti trinity folks have acknowledged the presence of various verses which are probelmatic to our own positions; but there has never been anything that comes close to an argument in our group. Personally, I don't see much point in trying to win a rhetorical contest on this issue; because I know that I never will.

"We agree to disagree" is one of the most wonderful pharases ever invented.

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

I used to be a member of a nondenominational Bible study group, but trinitarian prayers became unbearable. I'm glad to have the refuge of the Kingdom Hall, even if Wisdom is hard to live up to.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Arthur,

Don't you find that an environment where there are wide ranging beliefs tests your agapé to a much greater degree than environments where everyone has dictated to them what they should believe on Scriptural topics? I think unanimity and conformity are directly contrary to what early Christianity was all about.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Fred E Hathaway
    Fred E Hathaway

What about Ephesians, chapter 4?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Excellent question, Fred. There is, actually, an answer. Only those infected with cult thinking believe "unity = unanimity."

You don't think "unity = unanimity", do you Fred?

Unity is dwelling together harmoniously regardless of differences. The JW version of "unanimity" is pretending to have and enforcing conformity to a single standard.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit