Menu

by Hortensia 31 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

There are tons of recipes and tips on the internet if you type in something that you are considering eg roast pork or roast lamb, chicken Kiev, beef stroganoff, goulash, beef Bourgouignon, you can come up with reasonably easy and interesting recipes. I usually go for beef stroganoff or Bourgouignon as the main meal.

• pmouse
    pmouse

YUM!!! It's only mid morning here and already my mouth is watering!!!!!! Such great ideas. A great menu Hortensia!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Frannie - that's about how I do the ham, make a paste of brown sugar and mustard and slather it all over the ham under the skin and then bake until the skin is crispy.

Where am I? About a 4 hour drive from Ventura, going east on highway 10 out to the desert. It is pretty hot right now, a little early but we have already hit 100 degrees, looks like a long summer. Last year we had two weeks of 120 degrees, and I was teaching a class all day every day - the a/c couldn't really keep up with it so it was always warm and stuffy in the classroom, but way cooler than outside! If you are in Ventura, we should meet in the middle at the Huntington Gardens someday to look at roses and have tea.

DJK that sounds like a really easy recipe - could I add a little ginger and soy sauce? by the way, I like your avatar. There's something sort of Oliver Twist about it.

couldn't stay online last night because of something that is the kind of thing that happens only to me - a fly got in the house and was pestering me - a BIG fly. Suddenly it landed on my laptop keyboard and without thinking I slammed the laptop closed, so now it has a huge pissed off fly in it and I had to come to work today anyway or I wouldn't be online at all. My husband thinks it is very funny but sooner or later he will get the fly out for me.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    a BIG fly. Suddenly it landed on my laptop keyboard and without thinking I slammed the laptop closed, so now it has a huge pissed off fly in it

OMG!! Too funny. Almost as freaky as having a moth fly around your face and when you smack it, it's smooched in one of your nostrils. (Happened to me )

Huntington Gardens. Out by Pasadena. It's been a long time since I've been there but was lovely. My sister-in-law grew up in that area. After I ditch my crutches, might be a nice little trip and I'd love to meet you.

-Aude.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..A side dish of heated apple sauce to go over the sliced ham..It`s extremely tasty...French Chef OUTLAW

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

A free meal is always good.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

restrangled, I thought you were talking about green beans! ... Which might work, actually. I think I'll try that.

gently feral

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I'd put some cherries and pineapple around the ham for colour and taste...and if it's a hot buffet, I'd also make scalloped potatoes - if it's cold, I'd put out a great potato salad - garnish with a bit of parsley for colour. Also - nothing wrong with a corn salad...a few red peppers and greeen peppers in there and the colour again is awesome!.......sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    A side dish of heated apple sauce to go over the sliced ham..It`s extremely tasty

Oh WOW ..forgot about that too -mmmmm. I actually got some apples and cored and simmered them, added some brown sugar..a touch of cinnamon..wonderful and sweet to go with the ham....sammieswife.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

the bean recipe sounds good and all the suggestions are making me hungry. I like to make applesauce - every year my husband and I trek to the mountains and buy varieties of apples I've never heard of before, and make a big bunch of applesauce which we usually eat by Christmas. I peel and chop apples until my big roasting pan is half full, cover with apple cider and cook until tender. Then taste and add sugar, cinnamon, lemon peel, whatever strikes me as a good idea. My husband helps me with the canning jars, and I try really hard to save a jar for Thanksgiving dinner, but we like applesauce and so sometimes it just disappears.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit