Menu

by Hortensia 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yellow squash and zucchini in the salad - sounds good, I used to make nice salads, now I mostly pour them out of a bag. I've gone to hell as a cook.

• restrangled
    restrangled

If your going to do sweet potatoes and Ham you might as well add a fabulous bean dish.

I have a fantastic recipe thats done in a pan, (3 types of beans, bacon, onion, garlic, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar)...I never have leftovers...You can do it the day before, and it only gets better! Let me know and I'll post the recipe...... Very little work involved!

r.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'd love to have the recipe, sounds great. This is turning out to be more of a spring dinner - almost Easter dinner, eh? would you like the recipe for the sweet potatoes/apricots/bourbon?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm a recent convert to sweet potatoes and think they give a special flavour to most meals. I think the menu should reflect the weather - thats what I do anyway. And uncomplicated is good - a few of my friends are fabulous cooks but they spend the whole night in the kitchen getting it all perfect and to be honest I'm there to see them and empty their wine rack so I'd much rather see them and chat then they spend too much time doing food.

One of my faves is butterfly lamb - because all the prep is the night before. You take 2 butterfly lamb cuts - the very best quality you can get and then douse liberally with soy sauce a little oil, a handful of shallotts, fresh rosemary, whole garlic cloves then put one joint on top of the other with shallots in between. cut into the actual meat and press half shallots into the meat. As a guide it should be completely tender before cooking so that the knife sinks in with little effort. Finally cover with cling film and put two heavy cans of anything or jam jars on top to press the flavour in and leave over night.

Then all you have to do is prepare seasonal vegetables, home make the mint sauce and pop in the oven and enjoy a glass of somethig delicious and chat. Making it all seem quite effortless and really the best ingredients don't require all that much effort anyway.

I always struggle with deserts - I find it hard to be so passionate about the part of the meal I least like - so I usually cheat and buy a tart from a local gourmet shop and then finish off with a selection of cheeses and grapes with port or dessert wine.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Gosh, sounds yummy! I agree with you about wanting to see my friends and not be stuck in the kitchen. My menu ought to be good for that, but might be a bit heavy for the weather - we hit 100 degrees yesterday for the first time this year, a little early.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Calico Beans

In a large pot, Fry 1 pound bacon diced with 2 sweet onions diced,.... until crisp. If you wish, drain off some of the fat.

Add 1 large can B & M Baked Beans or 2, 1 pound cans undrained, 1 can lima or butter beans (drained) and 1 can Dark Red Kidney beans(drained).

Add 1 tsp. dry mustard, 1 tsp. garlic powder, and 1 tsp. seasoned salt.

Add 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, and 1/2 cup cider vinegar(Make no substitutions...must be apple cider vinegar)!

cook on stove covered for an hour on low simmer.....can go longer so that timed with dinner. Turn off heat 15 minutes before ready to eat and stir just before serving.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Gosh, sounds yummy! I agree with you about wanting to see my friends and not be stuck in the kitchen. My menu ought to be good for that, but might be a bit heavy for the weather - we hit 100 degrees yesterday for the first time this year, a little early.

Wow that is hot. Here its pitch black and howling wind outside - I love it!!! We're expecting snow after hitting 66 which is unseasonably warm for this time of the year in the UK. I think the salad is absolutely great for warm weather and I think with the ham it can be served hot or cold and if the kitchen is far enough away from the entertaining area then no one is going to get too hot - or you prolly have air con anyway. Wish I was coming for dinner - everything you are serving sounds delicious. The great thing about a big ham is people can tuck in for seconds!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

How are you doing that ham, Hortensia? I usually mix some mustard and brown sugar together, then loosen the skin from the ham and coat the ham inside the skin with the mustard/brownsugar sauce. Makes a scrumptious glaze!

Frannie

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Hortensia wrote: if you can find your way to my house, you're invited!

OK. Give me a hint.

I'm in Ventura County. Would I go East, North, or South??

-Aude.

• DJK
    DJK

Shrimp and pea pod appetizer. Slow cook shrimp in peanut oil. Add pea pods and sliced garlic, stir for a few minutes. I usually add Accent(MSG) before stirring to enhance the flavor and add crunch to the pea pods.

Refrigerate, serve cold. The trick is not to brown anything in the pan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit