WHy is King David Always held up as a great guy?

by zack 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

Narkissos, Yes, there isn't just one "David" tradition. That's why he comes off looking like a sociopath. And that's why he's so useful to the WTS (and many other groups) ;)

But no matter which account you talk about, I personally dislike the guy. He's definitely not someone I would want to meet.

Cellist

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

He was a bible hero. If your looking for bible heros, you havent got a lot to choose from. The Christians like him because Christ lineage goes thru him and the bible thumpers say he is proof the bible is from God as man would not allow all his short commings to be recorded.

The bottom line the bible is a jewish book of jewish history he was one of their major kings, he fathered Solomon who was the wisest and richest in all the bible lands.

• alotlikemay
    alotlikemay

hey guys, glad to meet such perfect people! i really wasn't expecting to meet people so wholly bad or wholly good that they could justifiably point a finger at a mere human being!

i'm afraid in your taking the pee out of David, you also condemn me - and actually I'm a sincere and 'nice' person, just that now and then I act human!

and you know what? I'm proud of it - for so many years as a JW I tried so hard to be perfect and mostly I never put a foot wrong. It's only when I made some absolutely awful awful errors - not at all dissimilar from David ('cept for the foreskin business lol) - that I finally 'got real' about myself

well, I guess you'll DF me in your minds now -or maybe from the forum!! oh dear, and I only just got here! - because I'm so like David.

grow up, you people! yeah, I'm serious! you sound like children

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

alotlikemay,

Welcome to the nursery school! Stick around, you may find that your initial impressions are flawed to say the least.

that I finally 'got real' about myself

Might I ask, what this means? Expressions like 'got real' are actually meaningless. Do you mean that making mistakes helped you to understand the human condition?

Cheers - HS

• loosie
    loosie

I would like to see a JW do just one of the things King David did. Kill a man and take his wife. How long would it take to gain Jah's the Elders favor then?

• alotlikemay
    alotlikemay

hillary, people use meaningless expressions all the time - sadly I'm too tired and too busy to weigh every single word!

and actually I got sick of having to do so during my years as a Witness, so forgive me if I laughed at the fact that you nitpicked just one of my words! it's rather typical of JW mentality as I remember it !!

yes, that's more-or-less what I meant and it came as a shock - as it does to many people

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

alotlikemay,

and actually I got sick of having to do so during my years as a Witness, so forgive me if I laughed at the fact that you nitpicked just one of my words! it's rather typical of JW mentality as I remember it !!

Actually I 'nitpicked' the whole tenor of your post, which though I am sure that it was not intended this way, came across as rather self-righteous. I needed to clarify what you meant by 'got real' as I was going to suggest as dichotomy between that phrase and your post, but as you are tired, maybe another day.

Though the moral conclusions of the life of King David may teach us lessons regarding the 'human condition', his fallibility as an historical character should help us not to take the Biblical portrayal of a semi-mythological figure too seriously.

Cheers - HS

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

He's only revered by monotheists. Everybody else knows he was a murderous adulterous puke.

• Cellist
    Cellist

alotlikemay, We're picking on King David's fallibility because he has been lifted up as an example to be followed and he's anything but.

On a different note, I tried to edit my last post to say: The different traditions on King David make him appear to be schizophrenic, not sociopathic. His obvious lack of any natural affection for the people in his life would make him a sociopath.

My own personal opinion is that he's just a story.

• Wafe
    Wafe

David was by no means a perfect man indeed, he did some horrible things in his life. However this is not to say that he was all bad. None of us know what we would have done in his situation we could have done things just as bad if not worse. The point being is this,

If people were to know all of your faults, how many would still love you? How many would still love me?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit