WHy is King David Always held up as a great guy?

by zack 62 Replies latest jw friends

• zack
    zack

Some of Blondie's comments on her WT review makes me post this question. The WT always holds up David as a great

example. They love him. Why is this man so special? He had a bad temper. He was presumptous. He used his authority and position to take another man's wife

and later had her husband killed. He was the cause for the smiting of 70k Israelites by Jehovah. He didn't have the courage to kill Saul, but had the guy killed

who said he did it. His own kids rebelled against him. People were always dieing around him. He was a man of tremendous voilence who used voilence

as a political tool on the battlefield and behind the scenes. And through it all he remained King and escaped the sentence of death that any poor Israelite

woulod have certainly received had he done the things David did. In his case, it was good to be the king.

• rassillon
    rassillon

Because he freakin' Rocked!!!!!!!!

He could do anything he wanted and nothing happen to him because he was anointed.

They (the GB) view themselves as the anti-typical david class.

Although I don't see him as that different many other historical kings.

If I was a king I would be more like Solomon, can you say concubine!

-r

• restrangled
    restrangled

He was an "Alpha Male"

r.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Because history is written by the winners, or at least their descendants. If you are a scribe writing about the founder of the ruling dynasty, you better make sure that you make the bloodthirsty despot look his best, or at least somewhat pious.

If you'd like to read a more secular, irreverant, and "true story" account of David, read "God Knows" by Joseph Heller ( the same guy who wrote "Catch-22"). It's David's own telling of events of his life, from his death bed. Quite good, and Very Jewish!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think that David would be amazed to read how kind the writers were to him. He was a tool
    for the guys who wrote about him. They said the people are sinners, needing the priests, and
    the kings are sinners needing the priests. They basically said that if King David could
    overcome his own sins and put his trust in God, then the readers of these words could, also.

David was a tribal king of a tribal land, but they managed to build a nice city and temple in his
    time, so the writers were good to him, because the writers were dependent on that temple for
    a living. The writers were also kind to him because legend already was kind to him.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

But he "loved" jehovah according to Jehovah

Great point - it is a massive double standard

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Because he freakin' Rocked!!!!!!!!

He could do anything he wanted and nothing happen to him because he was anointed.

They (the GB) view themselves as the anti-typical david class.

Great answer Rasillon!

I think King David is like the medieval American president - a little ready with his tackle and always up for an unprovoked fight and loves God who makes all the big decisions for him!

• Scully
    Scully

He was Jehovah's favorite... when Jehovah's anointed King Saul commanded David to procure 100 Philistine foreskins in order to marry Saul's daughter, David was happy to double the amount.

Everyone knows Jehovah is a foreskin collector, and David was his go-to guy. Why Jehovah collected foreskins, we still do not know for sure. I keep imagining this giant wall hanging... like the skins from animals... all pink and leathery above Jehovah's fireplace: a macabre testament to Jehovah's foreskin fixation.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Why Jehovah collected foreskins, we still do not know for sure. I keep imagining this giant wall hanging... like the skins from animals... all pink and leathery above Jehovah's fireplace: a macabre testament to Jehovah's foreskin fixation.

LOL @ Scully - there's a horror movie in the making there:

Jehovah's Cabin in The Woods

Foreskin the 1,100,013th

Dead End (oh thats good - even for me thats pretty good)

The Circumcist (yep I am on a roll)

Sore III (okay will stop well I'm going good)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

LOL @ Scully - there's a horror movie in the making there:

Jehovah's Cabin in The Woods

Foreskin the 1,100,013th

Dead End (oh thats good - even for me thats pretty good)

The Circumcist (yep I am on a roll)

Sore III (okay will stop well I'm going good)

Would they be the director's cut?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit