Im not tough

by joelbear 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    Im not tough

Joelbear, I'm so glad....

Randy, the box sure looks interesting! Was it really that bad?

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Joelbear,

You may not be tough, but you are one hell of a manipulator.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi April!
    No, I was just stirring up the pot. If you like Goth schlock, its very good, but not for the meek-hearted! Adrienne Barbaux (sp?) and Rose McGowan are da bomb!
    Randy

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Randy, you mean Adrienne actually starred in an "okay" movie??lol
    Well, The Fog was decent.

Seriously, my heart is meek, but I love horror. Not the slice 'em- dice 'em kind. (Freddy, Jason, Michael), but the weird, psychological kind. Does this qualify? If so, does Blockbuster have it?

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• somebody
    somebody

joelbear,

I agree with what individuals wife said. Just be yourself. If you are trying to "create" a new person for yourself in the sense that the person is different and not you, then it won't work. Don't take things so hard and personal and close to your heart that some say here. we are all different and from different walks of life. the only thing we have in common is that we are all related to JWism in one way or another. that makes us a family of sorts.

I miss the old you. the REAL you. Mitch probably does too.

peace,
    somebody
    PS...love that John Lennon song. love ya.

• somebody
    somebody

adding that the Sept. 11th tragedy effected us all, as it did you.

peace,
    me again

• ISP
    ISP

Well whatever you are Joelbear......tough, big, small, etc.......you are showing up a lot on this board and your last rant at Simon was pretty poor. So keep your mouth shut for a while and do us a favour.

Best

ISP

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Joel,

I would make a distinction between toughness and strength, and you my friend have real strength.

There's a reason why it is called martial arts. I myself have come to appreciate the art of Tai Chi more than it's practical aspect in self-defense. (which is also not the same as fighting) You can see this just by the way people practice forms, and the fact that it is beneficial for your health speaks volumes as well. Although some of the more practical arts suited for street fighting may use force against force, this is against one of the basic principle of Tai Chi. I hope to overcome this common conditioning by diligent practice of the art, and someone with your temperament might actually do well in it. Just something you might want to think about.

• somebody
    somebody

hi Intro,

My I ask what joelbear said about not being tough on the board has to do with martial arts? We all saw him get mad at himself because he took what others said about him to heart, and then could not stop himself from reading on, so he took it out on Simon 9 good thing for him that Simon is cool and has so much humor) and blamed his feelings on Satan/the devil. Does any of it have to do with martial arts? besides learning self-control maybe?

How would Joelbear have reacted if everything that he himself said to Simon was said to him, by Simon? I know that joelbear already looked at that view or he wouldn't be apoligizing in his own way here.

peace,
    somebody

e-mail me if you don't want to answer here.

• Satanus
    Satanus

joelbear

The selfdenial you were putting yourself through sounds similar to co-dependence. It's a condition where a person doesn't like himself very much and depends on others for affirmation. It leads to other problems. I have pasted some of the symptoms below. I think everyone has some of these. What is the border to being codependent or not, i don't know. I know i have it, and have gone to a few of their meetings. You can always read more about it on the net. One thing is sure, if one has it and tries to carry on like nothing is wrong, problems from it keep coming back like a pain in the neck.

S

------------------------

Some of the characteristics of co-dependent people include:

1.Positive feelings about themselves stem from being liked and accepted by others.

2.Mental attention is focused on solving the problems of others or relieving their pain, and when these goals are accomplished, their self-esteem rises.

3.Co-dependents tend to personalize all that happens around them, seeing everything as being directly related to them.

4.Unless they are externally validated, they have difficulty trusting their own perceptions.

5.Significant others' clothing, personal appearance and behavior are dictated by the co-dependent, as he or she feels that the significant other is a reflection of him or her.

6.Co-dependents have unrealistic expectations of themselves, are unable to accept their own limitations, and use control and manipulation to avoid facing reality.

7.They view themselves as failures when they cannot control everything or meet everyone's expectations.

8.They fear rejection and abandonment, so they feel they must be involved and needed in every aspect of the lives of others. Not to be involved and needed equals abandonment.

9.Co-dependents are not aware of how they feel; they are aware of how others feel. Co-dependents are not aware of what they want; they ask what others want. If they are not aware, they assume.

10.Social circles diminish as they become more involved in their disease.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit