St Patricks Day

by BlackSwan of Memphis 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Steve and I always have a party on St Patrick's day. Good food, lots of drink, good friends and a big poker game. Can't wait!

Rachel

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I'll be celebrating the traditional way This year, Paddy's Day coincides with the last day of the Six Nations, which Ireland actually have a chance of winning, so I'll also be watching a lot of rugby (three matches)! It'll be tough but lucky for me, it's a long weekend

Hey Derek, I have had the chance to watch a bit of rugby. OMG you guys are insane!! I haven't heard of six nations though. Sounds, sounds .. like a good time to drink! Cheers!!! (I'll google it Six Nations in a bit)

Thanks! I'm betting I will. 5 years before 3/17 is the day I met Mr. Rebel8. (Despite how much we don't enjoy the vomitorium, we both happened to be at the parade--single and super bored that day--that's how we met, in the midst of the Syracusans Gone Wild.)

Sounds like the making of a nice, romantic film. I'm very happy you have a MrRebel8 to be by your side for whatever festivities you dream up!!

I'll be downing a pint or two of the dark stuff, with friends

Ay, the best way to celebrate! Good dark beer and friends at your side to drive you home. OR walk you home so you don't get mugged! Have fun!!

Steve and I always have a party on St Patrick's day. Good food, lots of drink, good friends and a big poker game. Can't wait!

Wow, sounds like a blast! Dang, I haven't played poker in so long! I remember the first time I played. My boyfriend (jw) at the time taught me how. I won like every round. Heh, fun. Hope you win lots of $$$ or pretzel sticks as the case may be!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am going to a weekend scrapbooking retreat. Damn...........missing Rachel's annual party and poker game.

• BFD
    BFD

My nephew will be 7 on St. Patrick's day so I'm going to a burfday party!

BFD

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I am going to a weekend scrapbooking retreat. Damn...........missing Rachel's annual party and poker game.

I haven't scrapbooked in so long. Hope you get some pages finished and enjoy yourself!!! That poker party Does sound like fun, doesn't it?

My nephew will be 7 on St. Patrick's day so I'm going to a burfday party!

Ohhh how sweet! Enjoy yourself and don't eat too much cake! (that kid is going to have some fun birthdays when he gets older )

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Sitting here drinking Miller HIgh LIfe.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Corned Beef, Cabbage and Potatoes.......

I am Black Irish.....if there really is such a thing.

Anyone else?

• zagor
    zagor

I'm not Irish but because of my Catholic origins I was invited to the party and free lunch anyway, heck it is good to sometimes say you had catholic origins ;) lol

But seriously I really enjoyed myself, met many great people and fell in love with few things Irish ;)

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

When I left the JW's and I had some holiday makin' up to do. One of the things I made up, was I told my son St Patrick's Day as a special holiday just for him...his name is Patrick. We'd would do the whole thing..cake, icecream and presents. He thought it was especially cool that everyone else celebrated and decorated for his special day...and his favorite color was green. He still loves it, and even though he is now 22, he still expects a gift...and I enjoy finding something special just for him.

lisa

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Sitting here drinking Miller HIgh LIfe.

My husband is MGD guy. Ick. No offense, but I like Molson or Killians for the average beer. And Guinness is what we'll be drinking tonight!

Corned Beef, Cabbage and Potatoes.......

I am Black Irish.....if there really is such a thing.

Anyone else?

I have heard the term often as well. And had also heard my dad refer to us in that way. I found a couple of interseting links. But from what I gather, it basically refers to the dark hair/eyed Irish peoples. I swear I can't remember which part of Ireland they generally hail from. I am thinking N Ireland (my grandfather was from Tyrone and that from what I can see is pretty far north) But anyway here are two links that you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Irish

http://www.darkfiber.com/blackirish/

The second one dispels (supposedly) some of the legends I have heard.

Enjoy your chow!!!

I'm not Irish but because of my Catholic origins I was invited to the party and free lunch anyway, heck it is good to sometimes say you had catholic origins ;) lol

But seriously I really enjoyed myself, met many great people and fell in love with few things Irish ;)

Oh how cool! Somehow this brings to mind a Simpsons episode from about a year or two ago. Bart starts going to a parochial school, complete with Liam Neeson as the principal ;) Sounds like it was fun! Good to hear you enjoyed yourself!

When I left the JW's and I had some holiday makin' up to do. One of the things I made up, was I told my son St Patrick's Day as a special holiday just for him...his name is Patrick. We'd would do the whole thing..cake, icecream and presents. He thought it was especially cool that everyone else celebrated and decorated for his special day...and his favorite color was green. He still loves it, and even though he is now 22, he still expects a gift...and I enjoy finding something special just for him.

Awww how cool! Patrick is a really cool name. You're a very fun mom!

I went to the store yesterday and picked up a few St Pat's decorations, green and white streamers. We're going to do a nice little tea party today and I'm going to have them draw a big picture of a rainbow and then while they're playing in another room I have a little green leperchaun type hat filled with gold coins and gold coin wrapped candy and stickers and I'm going to put it at the end of the rainbow. I'm like you, I feel like I have a little making up to do for lost time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit